Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

Mommy Mondays: I've got some corn for popping

Well I covered holiday music and holiday reading,  all that's left is holiday movies!  And I'm pretty excited about these.  We started right after Thanksgiving and friends, we will not get through all of them before Christmas.

So,  this was my hardest top 10 to come up with.  How do you narrow it down to 10?

1. Rugrats Hanukah - There is a decided dearth of Hanukah movies, specials, and television shows.  Of the 5 that are out there  (not literally) this is the one we watch every year.  The rugrats do such a great job with Jewish holidays, really making them accessible for kids.

2. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas - I love the Rankin and Bass Christmas specials. They're so 70s, so corny, so perfectly Christmas.  This one about a little mouse who writes a nasty letter to Santa as almost ruins Christmas is one of my favorites

3. The Year without a Santa Clause - My favorite Rankin and Bass.  Who doesn't love the Miser Brothers? (Or as Thatkid calls them,  "The Misner Brothers)

4. A Christmas Story - We haven't shared this one with the kids yet, but it's such a classic holiday movie about being a kid at Christmas that it had to find a home on the list.

5. Elf - We introduced this one last year and it was an instant favorite for Thatkid. He manages to talk his brother into requesting it too, so we end up watching it once a week.

6. Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas - I can't help it,  I'm a child of the Muppet Generation.   (Is that a thing? It should be.) Jim Henson + Christmas = Happiness.

7. Muppet Christmas Carol - My favorite retelling of the Christmas Classic.  I also love Scrooged, but this is more family friendly.

8.  Home Alone - Thatkid loves this movie so much he watches it year round.

9. The Grinch who Stole Christmas - This one is currently Thatbaby's favorite.  He loves that Grinch.

10. It Happened on 5th Ave. - This one makes my list, not because my kid likes it, but because it's my favorite.  Classic farce, filled with good feelings,  helping your fellow man,  and of course,  billionaires pretending to be down and out homeless people.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when I first watched Elf. My husband was BEYOND STUNNED that I had never seen it before (he was my then... Man-Friend). I remember watching it but at the same time, I don't remember watching it at all, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elf is my favorite! It's rare I veer from the traditional stuff, but that one was hilarious!

    ReplyDelete