We're spending Thanksgiving with my cousins this year, as Thatmom is out of the country, and I couldn't be happier about spending time with family. Even if it does mean no Thanksgiving leftovers! For those of you that are going to be swimming in turkey, here's a great use for it. It calls for ground turkey, but would work just as well with shredded. It feels light and fresh, which is welcome after the heavy holiday meal. Anything with spinach and yogurt makes me feel inherently healthy anyway. Which is perfect since we're about to delve into the season of hot cocoa and cookies!
Grilled Turkey Burgers with Goat Cheese Spread (From Cooking Light)
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb ground turkey breast
10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 large egg white
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper, divided
1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint
6 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
6 green lettuce leaves
6 slices red onion
- Combine first 6 ingredients and 1/8 tsp pepper in a large bowl, mixing gently.
- Divide turkey mixture into 6 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4 inch thick patty.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done.
- Combine 1/8 tsp pepper, yogurt, and next 4 ingredients (through mint) in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Layer bottom half of each bun with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 onion slice, if desired, 1 patty, 1 1/2 Tbsp yogurt mixture, and top half of bun.