I've mentioned before Thatkid's current love of bacon. He doesn't just associate the breakfast meat with breakfast, he's happy to have it on sandwiches, burgers, and pizzas. But, unlike the rest of us who enjoy it as an accompaniment, he looks at the bread, buns, and crust as merely a plate to hold his beloved treat. He picks the bacon off, and eats it - leaving everything else behind.
But he is also kind, this weekend he took his BLAT and shared it with Thatdog. The two sat, side by side at the coffee table. Thatkid eating some bacon and handing off other pieces to Thatdog. Same with the tomato and avocado. I sometimes wish Thatdog realized what a great friend he has in Thatkid, right now he looks at him solely as a food delivery system.
Thatboy and I very much enjoyed this pizza. Thatkid pulled off the bacon and ate that, then nibbled on the crust, leaving the juicy mushrooms, sweet onions, and salty cheese. He missed out. The combination of the four is killer, as anyone who's ever had a mushroom bacon cheeseburger will tell you.
Bacon, Onion, and Mushroom Pizza (From Cooking Light)
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 cups vertically sliced onion
8 oz sliced crimini mushrooms
2 tsp cornmeal
1 can refrigerated french bread dough
3/4 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
6 bacon slices, cooked and coarsely crumbled
1/4 cup finely chipped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tsp oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add onions, cook, stirring frequently, 6 minutes or until tender and lightly browned. Place in a bowl.
- Add 1 tsp oil to pan; add mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, 6 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add to onion mixture and toss well.
- Sprinkle cornmeal on a large baking sheet. Gently, unroll dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll to within 1/4 inch of edge.
- Sprinkle onion mixture with cheese and bacon. Place pan on bottom rack in oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Sprinkle with parsley and cut into 6 pieces.