'Twas the night before Christmas,
and all through their homes,
the readers were thinking,
"Oh No! Not a poem!"
But Thatgirl was tired,
and weary from travel.
Her nerves had been frayed,
and slightly unraveled.
A week with the inlaws!
How would she cope?
There better be liquor.
One only can hope.
So while she settles in
as best she is able,
here's a meat pie recipe for
your holiday table.
Savory Green Tomato Pie with Beef and Onions (from A Canadian Foodie)
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 onion, sliced
4 Tbsp cornstarch
3 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp sage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup butter
3 green tomatoes, sliced
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Add onions and saute about 20 minutes, until onions are caramelized.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to the skillet, Add the celery and carrots and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ground beef and continue to cook until meat is browned.
- Add sage and garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and butter, and cook until butter mlets.
- Stir in 2 Tbsp cornstarch and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350. Roll out half of the pie dough and use it to line a baking dish.
- Place the meat filling in the dough-lined baking dish.
- Mix 1 Tbsp corn starch with the onions, and layer the onions over the meat.
- Lay the tomato slices over the onion and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold sides of pie dough over the meat and tomatoes.
- Roll out remaining pastry dough and place on top of the folded dough to cover the top of the "pie." Press down on edges to seal, and crimp with a fork. Pierce the cover several times with a sharp knife. Bake for 1 hour.