Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Yosemite Bits and Pieces: Thumbprint Cookies





Some of the highlights of our trip that didn't fit in anywhere else:

We came in from the South Entrance from  the park.  As usual, Thatbaby was asleep for the most beautiful views of our trip, but Thatboy and I were up.  I think this view is called "tunnel view" because it's what you see as soon as you exit the tunnel into Yosemite Valley.


We got to spend a lot of time with some of Thatbaby's favorites - the pool and his cousins.  He loves them both.  




Thatbaby's favorite part of the trip?  The BEEG BUHSH!  He wanted to GEET IN! everytime we saw one.  We shuttled around a lot of the valley, so he was a pretty happy camper.


We did dinner at the Ahwahnee Hotel one night.


Thatbaby got to make lots of new friends.  Like a real live wolf named Journey.


And the grandkids of Journey's owner.  He even got his first kiss (both from a wolf and a little girl).



On the way home we decided to take a bit of a longer route because it would give us more options for where to stay the night.  We ended up in Santa Maria as our stopping places.  Thatbaby loved the hotel room we were upgraded to which allowed him to run laps, sleep in his own very big bed, hide in closets, swim in pools, and hang out with frogs.


I love traveling with my boys, but it is exhausting.  When I get home, I need a vacation!  Or at least something sweet.  The last time I made thumbprint cookies, I swore I would never make them again.  But it's been almost 5 years, time to put on my big girl pants and try again right?  I mean, who gets beaten down by a cookie?   So I tried again.  And this time I won!  Perfect doughy cookies with sweet jam and a nice crunch.  I skipped the egg whites this time and used cornflakes instead of pecans.  I also put the jam in to begin with instead of waiting until the cookies were half baked.

Thumbprint Cookies
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
cornflakes, crushed
jam
  1. Preheat the oven to 350.  Cream the butter in an electric mixer.
  2. Add the sugar gradually and continue mixing until well combined.
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
  4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  
  5. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and combine thoroughly.
  6. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.  Shape the dough into 1 inch balls.
  7. Roll the balls in cornflakes and place on parchment or silpat lined cookie sheets.
  8. Indent the center of each ball with your finger and fill with the jam.  Bake for 20 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. What a great trip! But I can totally relate...I am always tired after travel, and I can only imagine how much more tired I"ll be when I try to travel with Lucy! These cookies look amazing, my friend. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you conquered thumbprints! I still have yet to do any such thing lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holidays with kid/kids can be exhausting!!! However, it is always a mum's thing that we don't mind being tired as long as our kid/kids are happy!

    Now, put on your lazy pants and enjoy baking and eating these cookies... You deserves these enjoyment! :D

    ReplyDelete