Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Chips Ahoy

A couple of months ago my food processor went kaput.  I can't say it was entirely the fault of the food processor.  I might have been partially to blame by not checking the garbage disposal before turning it on.  

But let's not point any fingers.  

Luckily, since I've been such a good girl this year, I got this brand new shiny toy for Channukah.



It's got far more bells and whistles than my old food processor.  Including multiple slicing disks of varying sizes.  I've been putting off getting a mandoline for years because I am completely short on kitchen space.  This means that I have several things I'd like to make but just don't have the capability without something that can slice super thin.  Because we all know that sure as heck isn't one of my strong skills.

I'm in love love love with my new food processor.  Especially because it is whisper-quiet.  But I really love being able to use it to make things I've never dreamed of before.  Things that require paper thin slices of potatoes.  Because thick slices of potatoes just don't make potato chips.  They make french fries.  And when you're layering potatoes, thin slices work so much better so each bite has the appropriate proportion of potato, sauce, and cheese.

I made the potato chips on a night that Thatboy was going out to dinner with friends.  I wasn't smart enough to wait till after he left though and with each pass through the kitchen another couple of chips disappeared.  He seriously considered staying home.  Who would have thought the allure of sandwiches and chips for dinner would keep a man from his friends.

I learned from my mistake and made sure these scalloped potatoes were available on a night he was home for dinner.  And yet, served as a side, he didn't have room for them.  Figures, right?  Don't worry he made short work of them the next day for lunch.

Potato Chips 
2 russet potatoes
canola oil
salt
  1. Peel potatoes and slice them very thin.  This is where I used the thin slicing disk in my food processor.
  2. Soak the sliced potatoes in cold water for an hour.  Pat them with paper towels until they are very very dry.
  3. Heat several inches of oil in a pan until a candy thermometer indicates the oil is 390F.  Add the potatoes without crowding and fry, moving and turning them until they are golden brown.
  4. Lift out and drain on paper towels.  Toss with salt.
Scalloped Potatoes
3 russet potatoes
 2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup hot milk
cayenne pepper
salt
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
  1.  Peel potatoes and boil until tender - about 20 minutes.  Slice the potatoes very thinly.  Hello new food processor!
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over low heat.  Stir in the flour until a paste forms and starts to bubble.  Slowly pour in the milk and stir until the sauce thickens.
  3. Stir in the cayenne and salt to taste, the egg yolk, and the cheddar.  Keep stirring until the cheese has completely melted.
  4. Spread a thin layer of the sauce over the bottom of a casserole dish.  Place a layer of potatoes on top of the sauce.  Continue alternating sauce and potatoes, finishing with the sauce.
  5. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and bake for 25 minutes.

4 comments:

  1. I have a food processor with a pretty slicer also...THAT I HAVEN'T USED YET. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I feel guilty about my lack of use of my cuisinart. I've only ever used the one chopper (the commonly used one that sits at the bottom of the bowl). I really like the look of both recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to use the slicer! I use the grater attachment constantly but I don't think I've ever tried the slicer. I am now craving potato chips

    ReplyDelete