Pages

Saturday, April 09, 2011

Where's the Beet




Okay, now I can start sharing where those beets were supposed to go. The other night Thatboy told me he was craving red meat. It must be related to the full moon or something. Usually he's pretty nonverbal about requests, eating whatever I give him. Even his requests are a little "vague."

"what kind of red meat do you want?"
"I dunno"

Helpful, right?

So I closed my eyes, opened my Fannie Farmer book and pointed. And when I saw this recipe not only had beef, but also beets I was all in. It also had capers which is an inside food joke in our family. Everyone has those, right? This is pretty much a hash, even though it's not titled as such. And like most hashes, mine have a tendency to fall apart. It's a weakness of mine. Good thing I'm good at so many other things!





Beef a la Lindstrom(From the Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
2 potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 roasted beets, diced fine
2 Tbsp minced onion
3 Tbsp capers
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp oil

  1. Mix the potatoes, beef, egg yolks, cream, beets, onion, capers, salt and pepper.
  2. Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Melt the butter and oil in a skillet and fry patties over medium heat, turning as they brown.

6 comments:

  1. I love this old Swedish classic. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beets and i have such a love hate relationship. We need to get back to the love side of things. This recipe could very well likely do it! You know...when I douse it in capers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets but usually only serve them as a side. What a great way to get them into the main dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First - yes, I always have capers. Doesn't everyone? Next to herbed olives? But this is so new to me - such fun. Cream, beats and beef - a hash and capers - oh my this entices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you mean by the hash "falling apart" ? How is it supposed to behave?

    ReplyDelete