Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

She's a real sad tomato


The title is in reference to a scene from my all time favorite movie, in which Lauren Bacall bemoans the plight of a poor young woman.





And today, I've been feeling a little sad tomatoish. We're getting down to the wire here folks. Arrival is tonight. Which always whips me into a state of frantic that is unmatched on this side of the Mississippi. I haven't slept, my stomach is so in knots that it's full and sending the overflow of acid up into my throat. To combat that I'm on a strict diet of dairy, citrus, and coffee. Because I'm REALLY not smart today. My coworker Rugby has suggested we order in pizza for lunch. Just to push it over the edge. I'd believe he has a pool going for what time I'm going to puke, but there are only 3 of us in the office today.

Our home is spotless. I've made Thatboy tell me about 700 times how beautiful I am. I am wearing my "Gosh don't you look skinny outfit" today, which consists of a white shirt that I realized was see-through AFTER I got to work. And now contains a nice peachy stain on my right breast from where I dripped yogurt this morning.

What I really need right now is something easy. And frankly people - it doesn't get any easier than bruschetta. Chop some tomatoes, toast some bread, and combine. Of course, it's infinitely better when you remember to buy fresh basil, but don't you think that's asking a lot of me, dear friends? I mean, I'm almost 90% sure I put my underwear on correctly this more, which is a step in the right direction. Two steps actually. One point for remembering to put it on, and one point for putting it on correctly.

Baby steps. Baby steps.



Easy Tomato Bruschetta

1 tsp basil - if you have fresh basil USE IT, and lots of it. If you forgot to pick up fresh basil like me, use the dried stuff
2 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar - I'm loving this white balsamic I picked up a little bit ago.
salt
pepper
1/3 cup olive oil - use the best you can find. We're using a Tuscan from my fave olive oil place.
2 cloves garlic
1 french baguette

  1. Preheat oven to 425. Combine tomatoes, vinegar, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Combine olive oil and garlic and microwave for 30 seconds.
  3. Slice bread at an angle into 1/4 inch thick slices. Brush with garlic olive oil.
  4. Bake bread slices for 7 minutes, or until golden.
  5. Drain tomato mixture and spoon over sliced toasted bread.

4 comments:

  1. I am completely craving bruschetta ow. And will probably end up settling for popcorn. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with Laura and craving some nice juicy tomatoes....even bigger sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you would totally win me over with that bruschetta, if i didn't <3 you so much already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looove Lauren Bacall.

    Have you tried out a foam roller for your ITB problems? It has worked wonders for me and I've heard many runners raving about them for ITBS. I get my pain in my hip from it, but most people feel it in their knees. If you use this and do certain ITB stretches it makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete