And yet, if you've been a fairly loyal reader, you'll notice that I order eggs benedict on a number of occasions for breakfast. So how do I justify this? I don't. I can't explain it. I'm just perverse like that.
I do have to say, I like my eggs benedict with a twist - like the cornbread at Sophies, or the guacamole at Katy's Place. So when I decided to make them at home, I added my favorite veggie - spinach! I told Thatboy that I was pretty much Popeye because of my love for spinach, and he informed me that Popeye doesn't like brussels sprouts as much as I do.
- 1/2 cup fage yogurt
- tabasco sauce
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 slices canadian bacon
- 1/2 pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1/4 tsp white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1 english muffin, toasted
- Mix yogurt with 4-5 dashes of tabasco and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add Canadian bacon. Cook until Canadian bacon is heated through and browned.
- Add spinach to pan and cook until spinach is warm.
- Bring 2 inches of water to simmer in a large skillet and add the vinegar. Bring to a boil.
- Crack each egg into a small cup and slip into the water, careful not to break the yolk!
- Cook the egg until the white is firmly set.
- Top each english muffin with half of the spinach, a poached egg, and the yogurt sauce.