Thursday, February 05, 2009

A real solution

You know how you become addicted to a certain food and eat it like it's going out of style and then a month later you complete forget about it? Maybe it's just me. Sometimes it's cottage cheese, sometimes it's pudding, but lately it's trail mix. I go through crazy trail mix phases. I've tried every single one that Trader Joes carries. I had a desk drawer dedicated to the stuff. And then all of a sudden....I just stopped being interested.

But you'll just never guess what turned up in the FF cookbook! (I know - I'm taking foreshadowing cues from Stephanie Meyer lately). And now I don't need to pillage the shelves of TJs because I can make it in about three minutes. And it's a good thing it's so quick and easy because I'm going through it in massive amounts. And I can't even kid myself that it's healthy because ummmm chocolate chips anyone? Although it's semi-sweet chocolate which is healthier than milk chocolate....... And actually in the vast scheme of things, if you're craving something sweet a couple of chocolate chips is probably the perfect solution.


Trail Mix or Gorp (From The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)
  • 2 cups raisins
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces
  • 1/4 cup cashew pieces
  • 1/2 cup dried coconut
  1. Toss all the ingredients together.
  2. Store in an airtight jar (if you can get it that far)

12 comments:

  1. Looks like a super good trail mix. Kid friendly too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I heart delicious trail mix. Hope you'll be keeping this in your desk again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh...this has coconut and chocolate!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! And lol at the Stephanie Meyer comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that too - short-term addictions to food. Every summer, I rediscover trail mix after a camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'll even get to the mixing part. I'll probably just start eating them out of their bags.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm - this makes for a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to whip some of this up for Joe to put in his coat pockets when he's stuck at the hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, I love trail mix. I love the coconut in this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trail mix is such a perfect snack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. would it be really bad if i made this, sans raisins and coconut?

    ReplyDelete