Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I often wonder


if the recipe exchange coordinators go through the blogs before matching up recipes, or if the world is just full of coincidences. I mean, just the other day I wrote about how this weather is making me all stewy and soupy, and what turns up in my inbox? My recipe exchange recipe, beef stew! And better than regular beef stew - crockpot beef stew! Meaning we can eat dinner at a far more normal hour.

Thatboy really loved this recipe. It's different than my usual beef stews in that it is very tomato based. I cut the recipe in half, because I FINALLY cleaned out our fridge and I'm all proud of the empty space and lack of leftovers. Even cutting it in half ensured I'd still have lunch for later this week!



SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces*
  • 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered*
  • 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced**
  • 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes**
  • 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 3/4 cup beef broth
  • 1/3 cup red wine
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker, and cook, covered, on LOW 7 hours and 30 minutes.
*2 (1-pound) packages frozen stew vegetables may be substituted for carrots and potatoes.
**1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions may be substituted for red bell pepper and diced tomatoes.
Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

10 comments:

  1. This looks perfect for a chilly winter day. It's snowed twice already this season, and I'm hunting down recipes to help me stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to get a crockpot. Nice homey photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a dang good stew and those tamales in the previous post! Yum! I am so jealous of you having good tamales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, how i love slow-cooked meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad the recipe worked for you.

    I merely tried to spread the recipes as best I could with what I was given.

    Thanx again for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this time of year for having lots of stews - in fact I'm trying to clear out my freezer too and have a lot of beef to cook so it's lookin like lots of stew... and maybe pie too lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hee hee...guess who has a new 6 quart slow cooker to break in? :)


    Sad that I'm slightly giddy over a slow cooker. It's official; I'm old. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks soooo good.

    and now, i must replace the slowcooker that we accidently left in the old apt. doh!

    ReplyDelete