Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sun tanned, wind blown...


and also shaken! We've got it all here in California: traffic, fires, mudslides, floods, and of course, earthquakes. I'm fortunate enough not to have been in California for any of the "big ones" so I look at these just like amusement park rides. I raise my hands, scream "wheeeeee!" and when it's over I start chanting "again! again!"

Yesterday the earthquake definitely matched the tenor of my life right now, everything's all shook up and out of place for a change. I should probably just make my self right at home in chaos since I seem to continually end up there anyway. And besides, chaos is kinda a pretty place when you look around. I mean, it has basically everything you could possibly want, you just can't necessarily find it.

The highlight of my day yesterday wasn't the earthquake however. My enjoyment was rudely interrupted by someone who needed something done immediately, done perfectly, and done by me. The highlight of my day was a little message from Lina letting me know she was passing along the Yum Yum blog award.


Lina is someone I wish I had met back when I was living in Orange County because I think she's amazing. She makes amazing dishes and travels to amazing places. Thatboy has NO idea how many blogs I read, or that I read blogs of people I've never met, however he knows Lina because I'm constantly wishing she'd give me cooking lessons!

I'm giving this award to five other yummy bloggers.

Post-Collegiate Cooking

Stir it Up
Proceed with Caution
Sensible Suppers and Decadent Desserts
The Spiced Life

Now, does everyone remember Spanish Shrimp? Well I decided to make Spanish Chicken! That means the main ingredient after chicken is, wait for it, OLIVES! I did another skillet chicken, because it's easy, and if it ain't broke... I also served this over a bed of couscous because it's one of my all time favorite grains. If you haven't ever tried it I urge you to put aside whatever cracked up notion you have and make yourself some. I love the whole wheat version from Trader Joes - but I'll take it anyway I can.


Spanish Skillet Chicken
  • 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 chopped shallot
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 1/6 cup sherry vinegar
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp green olives, chopped
  • 1/2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
  1. Melt 1 Tbsp butter in nonstick skillet over medium high heat and cook chicken 6 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
  2. Add shallot, garlic, and vinegar to skillet and bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.
  3. Add broth and return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until broth is reduced to 1/2 cup.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in remaining butter.
  5. Top cooked chicken with sauce, olives, and parsley.
Serves 2.
Including couscous, each serving has:
Calories 456.0
Total Fat 21.5 g
Saturated Fat 11.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 7.2 g
Cholesterol 82.0 mg
Sodium 1,153.1 mg
Potassium 375.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
Sugars 5.0 g
Protein 25.1 g

11 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are okay. :) This dinner looks fabulous btw! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm! Have to try this! Glad to hear I am not the only one living in chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually clicked through Lina's blog and found yours and I'm loving it! I missed this last earthquake which would have been my first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are ok! I have to admit, I've always wanted to feel an earthquake, but only if no one is hurt and there is no damage. So it's probably best if I never feel one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! I was just cruising through and was going to comment on the couscous (excellent idea. More North Americans need to appreciate how awesome couscous is), when I saw the Award. Congrats, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're not too shaken up...


    Thanks for the award-that's an awesome compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicken, shrimp, whatever. Still looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey wow thanks! My first award! I will post about it and pass it on by the end of the weekend....

    Glad to hear you are ok. Your dish looks yummy--and I don't like shrimp anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is one well-deserved award, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, this was delicious! I made it tonight- added a little avocado for extra oomph- and we scarfed it down! Thanks darlin!

    ReplyDelete