Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Kate versus the Eggplant, Volume 1

In other news, its about time I tell you about my relationship with eggplant. Its a unique relationship, maybe most similar to trying to hang out with the cool girl in highschool. I want to like eggplant. Everyone else likes eggplant. I continue to subject myself to eggplant, and every time eggplant makes fun of me with her friends when she thinks I can't hear. But I am unphased. Again and again I try. I don't have this problem with any other food. I have no desire to eat asparagus, or fish, but for some reason, eggplant ranks high on my "you should like me" list.

I came across some delicious sounding Israeli Eggplant Salads and decided to try again. This one is the eggplant and tomato salad. This is kinda a misnomer since there aren't any REAL tomatoes in the salad - just ketchup and tomato paste.

When I opened it up in class today I was sure I would instantly make numerous friends. The onion and garlic were almost overpowering. I took that as a good sign, since I love onion and garlic (and onion, garlic, and tomato? Well that's a sure fire knock out, right?). First couple of bites were good (yay! I can eat eggplant). And that's when I started to get that old familiar feeling. Eggplant and her friends were laughing at me. And my laughing, I mean doing quite the number on my stomach. Feeling sick, I had to stop eating. Curses to you eggplant, you got me this time! But like anyone of your sycophantic fawns, I'll be back oohhing over you in no time.


Israeli Eggplant and Tomato Salad
Ingredients:
Vegetable Oil
1 medium eggplant
1/2 large onion, sliced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp ketchup
1 clove minced garlic
salt
pepper

Directions:
1) Heat large pan over medium high heat and add 2 inches of oil.
2) Cut eggplant in half and cut flesh into 1/2 inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt.
3) Working in batches, place eggplant in oil until it is golden. With a slotted spoon, remove eggplant from oil and place in glass bowl.
4) Add onions, tomato paste, water, ketchup, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.
5) Refrigerate overnight.

1 comment: