Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Gather round the campfire kiddies

It's singing time!

What do you do with black bean salsa?
(sung to the tune of What do you do with a drunken sailor)

What do you do with black bean salsa?
What do you do with black bean salsa?
What do you do with black bean salsa?
On a Tuesday evening.

Put it in the fridge until its moldy.
Put it in the fridge until its moldy.
Put it in the fridge until its moldy.
On a Tuesday evening.

Search through blogs for a recipe.
Search through blogs for a recipe.
Search through blogs for a recipe.
On a Tuesday evening.

Turn it into a taco salad.
Turn it into a taco salad.
Turn it into a taco salad.
On a Tuesday evening.

What do you do with black bean salsa?
What do you do with black bean salsa?
What do you do with black bean salsa?
On a Tuesday evening!

Honestly, tonight was "get rid of leftover night". I actually had seen this recipe for taco salad on Chelly's blog. It's perfect when you want to get rid of black bean salsa because pretty much it has all the same ingredients. AND I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough) to also have yellow rice leftover so pretty much this only required me to add lettuce and ground beef.

Jon got nervous when he saw me putting this together. Well maybe nervous is the wrong word. I think disappointed might be a better word. This boy never learns. Every two bites he had to tell me how amazing dinner was.

J: No really, this is really good.
K: Um, okay. You sound surprised. Is it like the best thing I've ever made?
J: I don't know about that, but I think I wasn't expecting it to be this good when I saw you making it.
K: What does that mean?
J: I saw you just throwing leftovers together, I wasn't expecting much. But this is REALLY good.

My tortilla bowls weren't nearly as good as Chelly's were. Luckily they were meant to be eaten and not framed, and I'll keep working on them until they're actually bowls and not a 2 sided triangle.



Chelly's Taco Salad in Tortilla Bowls

Tortilla Bowls:
Invert two ramekin cups on a baking pan, coated them with cooking spray and lay the tortillas on top. Brush them with some olive oil and bake them at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes, until browned and crispy.

Taco Salad:
Cooking spray
1/3 lb. ground beef
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cups cooked yellow rice (Chelly used brown rice, I used yellow, cause its what I had)
1/3 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6 cups torn romaine lettuce (about 10 oz.) (I used green leaf lettuce)
3 cups chopped tomato (about 1-1/4 lbs)*
1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed*
1/2 cup chopped red onion*
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed*

Dressing:
1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
1/3 cup salsa
1/3 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Remaining ingredient:
1/2 cup (2 oz) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (I used glouster cause we're going through a glouster phase in my house right now)

To prepare salad, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef and garlic, and cook until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return beef mixture to pan. Stir in rice through next 4 ingredients (through pepper). Cool slightly. Combine lettuce and next 4 ingredients (through beans) in a large bowl; toss to combine.

To prepare dressing, combine sour cream, salsa, chili powder and cumin, stirring with a whisk. Spoon dressing over lettuce mixture; toss to coat. Place lettuce mixture on plate or in tortilla bowl. Top with rice mixture and shredded cheese.

*Instead of these ingredients I just used my black bean salsa. Yes I AM a genius.

2 comments:

  1. Best song about beans ever. Even better than the one about musical fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! That looks YUMMY! And that you made it with leftovers is even more impressive!

    ReplyDelete