Pages

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Sunday Runday: Hip Hop 10k


As I mentioned, my goal for the year is to run a sub 1hour 10k. So I thought that maybe I should figure out what my base is. After all, it's been a bit since I've run a 10k. 

When I saw a  Groupon for the Hip Hop Run, and that there was a 10k component, I was intrigued.  The timing was good too, January - giving me 11 months to improve!

This was the second year the Hip Hop Run has...run, but it's first time in San Diego.  And it definitely had some kinks to work out.

The race was downtown San Diego, which should have been my first clue.  Because downtown San Diego is pretty much "The City of Hills." 

I got there bright and early to pick up my bib.  Parking was great, there was lots of it, and close to the start/finish. I was able to pick up my shirt and run it to the car before the race started.  Although part of the reason I had plenty of time was because the 7:00 start for the 10k  got moved to 7:30. 

Pre-race warmups have become a big thing.  And this one had hip hop moves and music to get everyone in the mood.


Finally they had us line up for the 10k. 

And we were off!

The course wasn't terribly exciting.  We basically ran down B Street and back up, around the stadium, and then...we did it all again! 




And like I alluded to before, lots and lots of really steep hills.



There were a couple of DJs on the course, playing some really great music, but I'm glad that I brought my own music because they were few and far between.


And after all that I now have a "time to beat."  I finished in 1:04:48, so I've got to shave 5 minutes off my time between now and December.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool you ran that one! I almost signed up... but it was just SO early. How come people don't run races in the middle of the day? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you ran that time with all those hills, you'll have no problem with a flatter course!

    ReplyDelete