Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sunday Rundays: Figuring out a new schedule

I feel like I just got a handle on weekday runs when I went and did something silly.  I got a new job!


It's not really all that silly, I'm so ridiculously excited about the new job I couldn't even begin to tell you.  It's an amazing opportunity and I feel unbelievably lucky.

Of course, that means running has take a backseat to finishing up things at my old job, and figuring out things at my new job.  And trying to figure out when I'm going to fit running back in is one of those things.

Most of the time my new job involves working from home (see - unbelievably exciting).  Which means a lot more flexibility, but because I am completely type-A I feel less able to go for a mid-day run when no one can vouch for how hard I'm working the rest of the day.  Almost like if I happen to leave my computer, that will be the one half hour that someone from work tries to contact me and assumes that I'm not actually doing my job.  I may get over this feeling of paranoia, or a may not. 

But, what I realized at the end of this week is that working from home means I don't have a commute anymore!  Which gives me a lot more time in the morning BEFORE work.  Especially when your children wake up before 6:00 am.  So I tried something out on Friday.  It worked really well, and so, it may become my new normal.

Thatboy and the kids leave the house right around 7am.  He drops the kids off at preschool, and heads to catch the bus to take him to work.  If I leave the house to go for a run at the same time, I have plenty of time to run, come home, shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast before logging on to work at 9am.

I'm a morning runner again!

AND I can run with my old running partner again!

Although it has been years since I've run with my old running partner and he is in definite need of some conditioning. 

The only downside to this is that running around my neighborhood means hills, hills, and more hills.  Which is only nice when you're running down them.  Not as pleasant chugging up them.  I know in the long run running these hills helps my speed on flat courses, and may help me drop those last 2 minutes in my 10k, but it definitely makes more morning runs more challenging!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! Working from home is a gift from god. I don't think I could go into an office again. Pants suck. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMHYGOSH congrats!! I am so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete