Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Picnic Weekend Part 1: Raspberry Jam





I can't remember if I wrote about this or not, and I'm too lazy to check, but back in November we awoke to find the ceiling cracked and coming down in the guest bedroom. 

As upsetting as this was, it was compounded by the fact that we had plans that day to meet up with some friends for a hiking trip.  Because these friends were Thatboy's coworkers, I sent him and Thatkid out for the hike while I stayed home and met with contractors, contacted the insurance, and played point person.   The good news is that the work on the room is almost completed - the air conditioner that was the source of the problem was replaced, the mold which was found was removed, the heater which wasn't a problem but determined to be condemned was likewise replaced, the ceiling was put back up, this time with an access panel to reach our attic from the inside, and the room has been painted. 

And since we're almost back to normal, it was time for me to make up for the hiking I had missed.   We headed back out to Alpine for a hike in the Cleveland National Forest.   We got caught on the freeway for an extra hour on our drive due to a potential jumper on the overpass, and our little trooper was a bit over it by the time we got to the forest.  Thatboy found a nice, easy, hike for us and we trekked along to a near constant chorus of "I'm hungry."  So we found a nice rock to stop for a little snack.




Thatkid was much more energized after he got some food in his stomach.


For a little bit that is.  I swear this kid must be going through a growth spurt.  Because it wasn't long before we heard the familiar refrain again.  Luckily I had packed us lunches, so a picnic break was in order.
I don't know what it is, but I have a thing for picnics.  Something about eating outside amidst beautiful scenery just does it for me.  And I pack a mean picnic.  This one consisted of olives, grape tomatoes, apples, and of course, the main course - peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. 

PB&J is fantastic for a hike.  You don't have to worry about refrigeration and peanut butter is a great source of protein and energy.   But I'm not going to share a recipe for peanut butter and jelly.  Everyone knows how to make those.  There are children's songs written about it.  This PB&J had a very special ingredient, homemade raspberry jam. 

This may be the simplest jam to make.  A great introduction to jam making for the novice.  Only two ingredients - raspberries and sugar!  And it's a big hit here.  Thatkid now searches for it specifically in the fridge.  When I mentioned I was going to have toast for breakfast he headed straight over and suggested I use the raspberry jam.  I love when something so simple is so well received.

Raspberry Jam
2 cups raspberries
1/2 cups sugar

  1. Put raspberries in a pot and crush them.  Cook for 15 minutes over low heat.
  2. Add the sugar and bring to a boil.  Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 214 degrees (use a candy thermometer to verify).
  3. Let cool then pour into a hot, sterilized jam jar and seal.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to eat pb&j all day every day! Glad you got your hike even if it was a few months late!

    ReplyDelete