One of our favorite winter traditions is visiting the Hotel Del, taking in the sights, and drinking cocoa on the beach.
There's an ice skating rink, and for the past 3 years we've taken turns hitting the ice wth Thatkid while the other parent hangs out with Thatbaby.
And if you wandered off into a corner, you'd find a little menorah setup. Which did not get the whimsical treatment.
As usual there was a sand sculptor on the beach.
And the kids decided to do some sand sculpting themselves.
We had TMIL with us on this trip, so we moved our hot chocolate on the beach inside, and ended up grabbing sandwiches at a very not - kid - friendly cafe. The sandwiches were all ready made, with chipotle mayo on them, and the chip choices were jalapeno, or cracked black pepper, or salt and vinegar.
Where are the regular potato chips? The sour cream and onion? The barbeque?
At home, we're more tortilla chip kind of people, but the boys definitely love their potato chips. And making them in the microwave means I can throw them together fairly easily. And I can make kid friendly seasonings by sprinkling on some ranch or bbq rub. And while Thatboy and I love our salsa, our kids are fairly common in that they would put ranch on everything of they could. So chips and ranch? They are so there.
BBQ Potato Chips and Creamy Ranch Style Dip (From Cooking Light)
1 large russet potato, unpeeled cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
2 tsp grilling rub
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsp nonfat buttermilk
2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1 tsp chopped dill
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp onion powder
- Arrange 1/3 of the potato slices on a large microwave safe plate.
- Coat tops of potatoes with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of rub.
- Microwave uncovered for 4 minutes. Turn potato slices over and microwave for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from plate and let cool completely on wire rack. Repeat with remaining potato slices and rub.
- Whisk cream cheese and buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Stir in parsley, dill, garlic, and onion powder.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.