Pages

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Crave Wednesday: Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries


Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  Which is the perfect time to recap Halloween, right? Well whether it is or not, here we are.

I wanted to do a special breakfast, but weekday mornings are hard since I get the boys ready for school.  So I incorporated them in breakfast making.  I used Trader Joe's pumpkin rolls and popped them in the oven while the boys and I whipped up some cream cheese frosting.  A little food coloring and we were on our way!


This is the first year that Thatkid was allowed to wear a costume to school, and he took full advantage.


His school had a Halloween parade and it was the cutest thing ever.  I seriously get such joy out of Halloween.  Seeing all the kids dressed up fills my heart with joy.



After school we got ready for trick or treating.


This year we decided to join forces with the kids' best friends and all go out together.




Thatbaby started out with his little friends.  He got so into it.




Eventually his being so into it meant he didn't wait to wait for his slowpoke friends (someone inherited his dad's long legs and quick stride) and he joined the bigger boys in their candy quest.



After we'd hit a fair amount of houses we retired back to home base where the kids sat around and indulged in their spoils.


It was a pretty successful night.


Believe it or not, the boys have barely made a dent in these buckets.  Thatkid donated a pound of it to send to the troops, and neither of them gets more than a piece at a time, usually on a weekend afternoon.  So we'll have leftover candy for the foreseeable future.

And speaking of leftovers, are y'all ready for Thanksgiving leftovers?  For me, this is way better than candy.  In fact, I love Thanksgiving leftovers so much, I made my own!  Last year TMIL spent Thanksgiving with us, and our usual weekend with my mom turned into just spending the day and heading home after dinner.  So no leftover turkey the next day. No leftover stuffing. This year we're doing the same thing.  But this year I'm prepared. Last week I made a turkey, stuffing, the works!  And I have leftovers! Last night we even had burrito bowls made with leftover turkey.  In preparation for our feast I had bought pounds and pounds of sweet potatoes...that I ended up not using.  It seemed overkill to add to the mashed potatoes I had already made for the four of us.  So I also ended up wit "leftover" sweet potato.

Luckily sweet potatoes are easy to use.  A side that goes side just about everything.  A meal in itself with panfried with some sausage or stuffed with ground turkey.  When cut super thin and baked they turn into the perfect crisp accompaniment to sandwiches and burgers.  A great fall alternative to your regular potato fries!

Sweet Potato Shoestring Fries (from Cooking Light)
3 Tbsp orange juice
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch thick strips

  1. Preheat oven to 400. Combine orange juice, oil, ginger, salt, and red pepper in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and cool.
  2. Combine juice mixture and potatoes in a large bowl, tossing well to coat.  Remove potatoes and discard juice.  
  3. Arrange potatoes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. We love sweet potato fries around here and I can imagine shoestrings are just as good! Love the seasoning on these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little kids trick-or-treating is the cutest thing ever. I love the Dracula costume!

    Hope you guys had a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete