Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Crave Wednesday: Bacon and Egg Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Arugula


Thatkid is a funny kid.  I get such a kick out of his quirks.  This year his friend Doc invited him to her Frozen Tea Party birthday party.  The invitation indicated that the kids should feel free to dress up.

Thatkid: Dress up?  I'm going to go as Ironman.
Me: I think they mean dress up like when you wear a tie.  Or you could probably dress as someone from Frozen.
Thatkid: I want to dress up as Kristoff then!

Which is how my child ended up wearing snow wear to a birthday party in July.


While almost all of the girls dressed up as princesses, Thatkid was the only boy in costume.  Which didn't phase him for a second.  He was so excited to be Kristoff.  The only way I could get him out of his too-warm clothes was due to the fact his friends were playing keep away with his hat.


The party started with all of the kids painting a "tea cup" (which was really a mug).


Next, they worked together to make chocolate chip scones to enjoy with their tea.


They decorated little bags which they used to go on a treasure hunt while the scones baked.  And then it was "tea" time.  The kids worked on their manners as they enjoyed apple juice, scones,, and then cupcakes.






I love that Thatboy marches to the beat of his own drummer.  And I hope he stays that way, although I know peer pressure is more influential as he gets older.  He cracks me up.  We're planning a trip up to Yosemite, so we've been talking about our plans.  When we drove to Humboldt, we left early and stopped for breakfast.  There was talk about stopping at McDonalds, but McDonalds has nothing really Passover friendly on their breakfast menu.  Remembering that, Thatkid asked if we could stop at McDonalds for breakfast on our way up to Yosemite.  When I told him that was a definite possibility he started cheering.  It was only after he finished cheering he asked the all important question - "What does McDonalds have for breakfast?"

Between you and I, it has been so many years since I've been to McDonalds for breakfast, I'm not even sure what they have.  Egg McMuffins and pancakes?  That's what I remember, so that's what I told him.  And I can't get really excited about either.  Because when it comes to breakfast sandwiches, the McMuffin is not my cup of tea.  You want an egg sandwich?  How about one with bacon and caramelized onion?  Sweet, smokey, and eggy!  And arugula makes it feel more like a real meal, not something that was just reheated and tossed on a tray.  Because sometimes I march to the beat of my own drummer too.

Bacon and Egg Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions and Arugula (From Cooking Light)
8 center cut bacon slices
4 cups thinly sliced onions
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp Mexican hot sauce
3 tsp butter
dash of sugar
2 tsp canola oil, divided
8 slices whole wheat bread
4 large eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups arugula
  1. Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings.  Drain on paper towels.
  2. Add onion, 2 Tbsp water, and hot sauce to drippings in pan, cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.  Set aside and keep warm.
  3.  Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Add 1 tsp oil to pan, swirl to coat.  Place bread in pan and cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.  Set aside and keep warm.
  4. Recoat pan with 1 tsp oil.  Crack eggs into pan and cook 2 minutes.  Gently turn eggs, 1 at a time, cook 1 minute.  
  5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  6. Place 1 bread slice on each plate and arrange arugula evenly over bread.
  7. Place onion mixture, 1 bacon slices, and 1 egg over each serving.
  8. Top with remaining bread slicecs.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness these look hands down DELICIOUS!!! That egg is seriously cooked to utter perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is cute as hell in that costume!!!

    ReplyDelete