Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday Runday: What's Wrong with Walking?

The title of this post is an exact quote from my doctor when I was complaining to her about how I was starting to get pelvic pressure when running.

I was expressing my frustration based on the fact that I never had even a moment of discomfort when running through my first pregnancy all the way up until the day I was induced.  And yet, at 22 weeks, I was worried I was going to have to throw in the towel this time around (Thanks Oppo-baby). 

"Well do you have to run?" my doctor asked.  "What's wrong with walking?"

To be fair, there is nothing wrong with walking.  Walking is fantastic.  It serves the same purpose of getting out of my office and breathing in some fresh air.  It's still cardiovascular, although obviously less intense than running.  But you know what my problem with walking is?  It takes too long!

One of the reasons I run is because I like being done sooner rather than later.  I get bored doing anything for too long.  I love the fact that (prepregnancy) I can sneak out of my office and get 3 miles in and only be gone half an hour. 

I have such admiration for people who walk half marathons, marathons, or the Breast Cancer 3-day.  I think they have so much more dedication than speedier runners because they devote way more time to the same distance.  Heck, I don't even want to run a marathon because the idea of running over 4 hours doesn't appeal to me!

So my plan is to just keep a better eye on my pace.  Slow it down a bit.  I actually ended up taking a couple weeks off from my daily runs, more due to the craziness of my work schedule than anything else.  When I started up again last week it was back to being comfortable, with no pelvic pressure.  So I'm going to keep going for as long as I can before I have to....walk.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you can try run/walking? This way you'll get a running rest break built in!

    ReplyDelete