Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

More Valentine's Day Treats: Walnut Stuffed Dates


Valentine's Day is tomorrow people - are you ready?  It's not even a beginning of the month holiday, but it always sneaks up on me.  I put it out of my mind until February 1st, and then before I know it, it's the week of Valentine's Day and I haven't picked up any gifts or cards.

This year I was a little better.  I think because I had Thatkid's party to plan.  So when I picked up decorations and activities I also threw some cards and other treats in the cart.  Like supplies for Thatkid and I to make Valentines for his class party today.






For some reason, it's really important to me that he plays an active role in things "from him."  He picks out the gifts for all the birthday parties he goes to, made the Christmas gifts for his teachers, and I wanted him to make the Valentines for his classmates.  Because he can't write yet, the boxed kind can't really have his personal touch, so we went for something homemade.  I printed out the fishbowl and he stuffed each bag with fish. 

I did my own Valentine's Day stuffing.  I think most people jump straight to chocolate for this holiday.  I know Thatboy does.  But he jumps to chocolate for every holiday.  Personally, I don't go ga ga over chocolate.  Dates aren't really a chocolate substitute.  Try to pass one off to a chocolate lover and they won't be fooled.  So don't misinterpret me when I say that dates are a great alternative to chocolate.  Sweet, rich, and dense, they always seem very decadent to me.  Cheese stuffed dates are probably familiar to most people, combining the savory and sweet.  These are all sweet, no savory.  And the nut meat makes them that much richer.

Walnut Stuffed Dates
Equal number of dates and walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar

  1. Place dates in a strainer, cover, and place over boiling water for 10-15 minutes until soft.
  2. Cool until you can handle them, then place a walnut half in each date.
  3. Sprinkle a clean work surface with sugar and roll the dates until they are coated in sugar. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks so unique! I would love to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, dates always sound good to me! Love the stuffing.

    ReplyDelete