Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Sunday Runday: Grape Day 5k



As you may recall, last weekend we went to Grape Day.  I mentioned that we started the day with the Grape Day 5k.  Or I did.  The boys came along, cheered me on, and waited for me to finish.


This was a really small, local race.  Which was a nice change of pace since I've been running a lot of big races lately.  I really like little races.  They give such a feel of community and camaraderie.  If the Disney races are not for runners, then these local races are the opposite.  They're nothing flashing, no bells and whistles, just a great run for running's sake.  They didn't even announce there was going to be a medal until a few days before the race, so most of us who signed up weren't doing it for any race bling.  All the stations were run by high school volunteers from the local schools.  It was so small, that the volunteers were more than happy to share one of their thundersticks with Thatbaby.  Who promptly turned it into an air guitar.


I hung out with the boys for a little bit, until the race was just about to start - another perk of small races.  There was a brief delay as we waited for those using the porta-potties to finish and join us, and then we were off.





The first mile took us down the main street of Escondido and then back the way we came.  It was nice and flat - the only flat mile of the race!  And because of that, I was pretty face.  Nike+ chirped in my ear that I had run a sub 9-minute mile.  My hip was bothering me a bit during that first mile.   Mile 2 was all hills!  All uphill.  I actually am not entirely sure how that works, since at one point we turned to head back, so you would think it would be downhill.  It wasn't.  Right at mile 1.5 I passed some kid who heaved out "not another hill" as I passed him.  I reassured him that we were halfway done, so there should be a lot more downhills. But I felt his pain, I had a side stitch that second mile and had slowed down to a 9:40 minute mile.



Mile 3 has a little more uphill, and some downhill.  Then we were back on the mainstreet, heading back toward the finish.  I picked up speed, pushing myself during that last portion, all the aches and pain gone.  I ran as hard as I could until I crossed the finish.


As part of the "race perks" we each got a free beer.  This is one of my favorite things about living in San Diego, all our races end with beer and not crappy beer - good, craft beer.  For this race, it was draft Stone Pale Ale.



I sat and sipped my beer, waiting for my time to be uploaded (because I forgot to turn off my Nike+ when I crossed the finish).  Then I saw it.  One of my new year's resolutions was to run a sub-30 5k, which I did unofficially earlier this year.  But here, in black and white, was an official recognition of resolution - 28:59!  Not only a sub-30 minute 5k, but almost a full minute faster than my unofficial PR!  A fabulous new PR.  Too bad it wouldn't last for long!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! You have done very well with your timing! Cheers with more beer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME!!! Congrats on your PR!!! And on a hilly course too...imagine what you could do on a totally flat course!

    ReplyDelete