Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Fancy for a Weeknight: Weeknight Baked Mushroom Risotto

Risotto is usually a weekend meal here.  It's not especially hard, but it is a little time consuming.   I don't do the constant stirring, but even without that, there's the constant adding liquid and waiting for it to be absorbed.

Which is a shame, because risotto is pretty popular here.  Even with the youngest member of our family.  And I can't really blame him since risotto is so creamy and delicious. 

Kim posted this "weeknight risotto" and I instantly put it on our menu-plan.  I feel like it fits in really well with the "dump things in a bowl and cook it" stage of my life I seem to be going through right now.  I mean, if it works for macaroni and cheese....

The result? When I pulled it out of the oven, it was a little watery, but the risotto was obviously cooked.  I figured I'd have to serve it with a slotted spoon, which I did for Thatbaby's portion which needed to cool a bit.   By the time I had got back from putting his on the table to cool, the rest of the liquid had been absorbed!  So give it a minute or so after taking it out of the oven before serving.

This risotto was missing a little oomph, but it's a great technique and I can see using it with other risottos.  A lot.  Because Thatbaby adored this.  I cut the recipe in half for the three of us.  Thatbaby ate his portion and then asked for more.  Which we didn't have.  So I ended up giving him half of mine.  And he asked for more after that!  Next time, I'll make the full recipe.

Weeknight Baked Mushroom Risotto (From Kimberly Michelle)
3 tsp butter, divided
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 oz field mushrooms, sliced
6 oz Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
6 oz button mushrooms, quartered
1 ½ cup arborio rice
4 ½ cups chicken stock
1 cup finely grated parmesan
sea salt and cracked black pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 350.  Melt  2 tspbutter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
  2. Add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are golden, about 5 minutes.
  3. Place the rice, chicken stock and mushrooms in a baking dish and stir to combine. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until most of the stock is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
  4. Add the parmesan, remaining butter, salt and pepper and stir until the butter is melted.

5 comments:

  1. Holy moly I must try this. I absolutely adore the "dump and cook" method. I've been doing this with couscous (the big Israeli couscous). I brown mushrooms, kale and usually some sort of meat in a pot, throw in the couscous and the chicken stock then cook. Easy cooking, easy clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love risotto but hate standing and stirring...so I'm so trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy risotto but like Joanne, I hate standing and stirring. This is a good way to make it. Like you I am definitely in the "dump and cook" mode too.

    Have a great weekend.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in the "dump things in a bowl and cook it" stage once but manage to overcome this as my son get older :D

    Despite all, this recipe seems to be a winner for the fact that Thatbaby loves this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baked you say? Sounds like a great idea and I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete