Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Let's Talk About Veal



Veal gets a pretty bad rap. Because, really? It's baby cow. But lamb is baby sheep and people don't get nearly as bent out of shape about it. And eggs, well they're not even baby chickens.

Veal however gets a special place in the realm of high horses because traditionally, the raising and slaughtering of veal is pretty inhumane. (Although, to be fair, we're not exactly treating most of our meat sources in a kind and gentle method in the slaughtering process. Read The Jungle - it converted me to a vegetarian for most of my teen years.)

But I'm here to tell you, that your protests have been heard. For the past couple of years Rose Veal has made it's way to some higher end markets and butchers near you. Rose veal is still baby cow, but instead of being shackled and force fed, these calves are allowed to graze freely on pastures and continue to suckle at their mothers' teats. The milk and grass give the veal a rosey hue, hence the name.


What does this mean for you, the consumer? Well, if you're like me, it makes you feel a little better about enjoying a delicious and lean meat. And the more of us who seek out and buy rose veal, the more inducement there is for suppliers to engage in more humane treatment! And for those of you who are already die-hard veal aficionados, I can promise you this tastes just as good as the stuff you're used to, if not better.


Veal Pot Roast
2 Tbsp oil
2-3 lb veal roast
1/4 cup veal stock
1/4 cup white wine
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
salt
  1. Preheat oven to 325. Heat oil in oven-safe pot and brown roast on all sides.
  2. Pour veal stock and wine over the meat, cover and cook 1.5 hours, or until the meat is tender.
  3. Remove the meat and keep warm while you make a sauce. Cut butter into small chunks and place in broth along with flour. Stir until the sauce is smooth and thick. Season with salt.
  4. Slice the meat and serve with the sauce.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up eating veal, so I've personally never had a problem with it, and when I went to college I was shocked to find out that it was such a controversial issue! I'm always a proponent of better agricultural and animal-raising practices though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am okay with veal a/k/a baby cow. As long, as it gets to be a baby cow before I eat it. I think you pointed that out very nicely.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why, but the fact that cow was a baby doesn't phase me at all. This recipe does look great, and it's nice to be able to find a supplier that uses considerate animal-raising practices.

    ReplyDelete