Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Around the World in 80 Chilis



Most of you know that chili is one of my favorite foods. I didn't realize the regional differences in chili until just a few years ago. I assumed everyone ate chili the way I ate chili - beans and ground meat, served with toppings like cheese and onions, and of course, cornbread.

And then I learned about Cincinnati chili - served over spaghetti, or chili and fritos, or chili topped with jalapenos, or chili over rice. It seems that chili can vary from location to location. And frankly, one of my missions in life is to try them all. Why not? I mean, is there anything more noble than opening your mind to new and exciting chili?

I cheated on this one. The quintessential Texas chili is "Chili Con Carne" - Chili with Beef. It's a beanless chili. I know, chili without beans? I had to add some in. Baby steps, people, baby steps. Instead of cooking the beans with the chili, I cooked them separate and served the beans overtop. Chili over rice and beans. It had a very tex-mex flavor to it, so I'm going to go ahead and call it authentic.


Chili Con Carne
1 lb beef chuck, cubed
1 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, mixed
1 Tbsp chili powder
salt
  1. Roll the beef in flour.
  2. Heat the butter in a heavy pot and brown the meat.
  3. Lower the heat and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minutes.
  4. Add 1 cup water and the chili powder, stirring to blend. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Salt to taste.

2 comments:

  1. I love a good white or even vegetarian chili as well as my favourite beef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I became obsessed with chili this year for reasons that are quite unbeknownst to me. I don't know anything about it, other than that it's delicious. I love that you added beans! Authenticity is highly overrated. :P

    ReplyDelete