Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Cleaning House



Yesterday Myrtle, her husband, and all three kids came over for dinner. As soon as we made plans earlier this week, I told Thatboy to cancel all his plans for Saturday, because our place was NOT presentable.

I did leave the house once, to drop off some bags of clothing at Goodwill. But otherwise, we spent the entire day vacuuming, putting things away, and finding creative homes for things so they weren't on every counter/table top.

It was exhausting. Luckily I had placed dinner in the crockpot that morning so I didn't have to worry about anything in the oven. Unluckily, it was not my favorite meal ever, so I'll delight you with something far better tonight.

It was however great to catch up with Myrtle and see how gigantic her little ones are getting. They grow so quickly in the first 2 years. And this was Thatboy's first time to meet Uno. Tres is running around like Evil Kneeval. Hard to believe she was once the tiniest baby I had ever seen. Always one to know what kids like, the chocolate cupcakes I made went over like gangbusters. And Thatboy spent a good amount of time playing cards with Uno while Dos and I read fairy tale books.

When they left, we realized it was a little sad we had so many kid friendly toys and activities. Only because we have no kids, so usually it's Thatboy and I playing cards, or reading fairy tale books. It is convenient for entertaining though!

The crockpot chicken caccitore as I noted before was just meh. Not a standout at all. It didn't thicken the way I would have liked, and I completely forgot to buy enough papperdelle. I know, I suck. I might have redeemed myself with the new beer I found - Firestone's Velvet Stout, which was a HUGE hit.

I wanted to go for a different type of cuisine than the Mexican style pork we had the last time we dined with Myrtle's family. But I should have been safe and stayed with these tried and true enchiladas. Usually a hit with Thatboys and children everywhere. And I love making meals with enough leftovers for weekend lunches.



Chicken Enchiladas
16 oz of your favorite salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tsp chili powder
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
6 flour tortillas
1 green onion, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine 3/4 cup of the salsa with the sour cream and chili powder.
2. Add in the chicken and cheese.
3. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, place the chicken mixture in the center of each of the tortillas. Roll up the tortillas and place seam side up in a glass baking dish.
4. Pour remaining salsa on top, cover and bake for 40 minutes. Top with the sliced green onion.

3 comments:

  1. I can relate to the all day cleaning when company is about to arrive. Especially if toddlers are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My room needs to be DEEP CLEANED before anyone is allowed in it.

    Chicken enchiladas are always a great go-to when serving company. I love how easy your version is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those enchiladas look really yummy.Thanks for the recipe... sometimes, when we are having company - and everything is ready and beautiful - you know, the moment before the bell rings... I wonder why we don't do this more often just for ourselves... so we could savour that moment all evening. I love entertaining - but, it is exhausting...
    Thankfully - your crockpot chicken was at least easy - and sounds like the perfect meal when kids are underfoot!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete