Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2019

Sunday Runday: The Year Ahead

The past 2 years I've been working on my 10k time, until I finally was able to get it down under an hour.

So this year the plan is to start working on my half marathon time.  I'd love to get it down under 2 hours.

Which is a lot more daunting.

So I'm taking baby steps.

Before Thatbaby was born, this was a much less daunting task.  The last half I ran before getting pregnant was 2:17.  Dropping 17 minutes isn't easy, but it's a lot easier than where I am now.

I never really got my speed back after Thatbaby was born.  Which is a funny thing to say given that my 10k speed improved!  So maybe it's my endurance than never came back?   In any case, my half marathon time has gotten REALLY REALLY slow.

So my first goal?  Get back to under 2:30. 

From there, it's to try to get back to 2:17.

And after that?  Well, then we can talk about under 2 hours.

And the best way to run a faster half marathon is to run more half marathons.  So I'm forgoing some of my favorite 10ks that I've found in favor of running more longer races.  I've got 5 half marathons on the books for this year, which is more than I've ever run in a single year!

Next week is the first one - but it's really just a chance to warm up my legs to the distance, because you guys?  It's a TRAIL HALF MARATHON.  And we all know I don't run trails for speeds.  So it's going to take me a million hours to complete, but 13 miles is 13 miles and these legs need to get used to 13 miles again, and again, and again.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed! Since I haven't run since Remy was born, I have no clue what my half time would be...hoping to get back into it once residency is over this year.

    ReplyDelete