Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Crave Wednesday: Mocha Banana Split



So it's not much of a secret that our family is a Hamilfamily.  Both my kids can recognize a song from Hamilton before the lyrics kick in.  Thatkid informed a birthday party this weekend that "My Shot" is his favorite song.

So when we got word Hamilton was rolling in to San Diego, I did everything in my power to ensure I would get tickets.  Multiple tickets. 

The first showing I went to, I took Thatkid with me.  He couldn't have been more excited.


Taking a 6 year old to the theater meant I did not splurge on expensive seats.  We sat up in the balcony of the largest theater the cast had performed in.


Sitting in the balcony was also good, because Thatkid kept leaning over to ask me "Which one is he again?" or "Why is everyone laughing?"  After the show on the way home I asked if he had any questions.  His only question was why there were no white people alive in Hamilton's time.  

Later on that week, I returned to the theater with a date who wouldn't ask as many questions.


For this show, Thatboy and I had upgraded to orchestra seats.  And they were definitely worth it.  Look how close we were to the stage!


I can't recommend orchestra seats enough for this show.  The entire evening was like an out of body experience.  And because L&O knows all the right people, she found herself a couple rows in front of us in the orchestra too.  We met up during intermission.


It's been quiet here on the Hamilton front since January.  Until last month when I got an invitation to a Hamilton party!  We were going to sing through the whole album!  A couple of weeks ago we got a survey asking us what songs we wanted to sing, what songs we would be willing to sing, etc.  Last week, we got assigned our parts for the whole show, and I went in to heavy duty practice mode.  Thatboy made fun of me for practicing so much - telling me that we weren't actually performing a show for a paying audience.

One of the aspects of my anxiety disorder is that I get really anxious about parties.  Especially parties where I don't know everyone.  This party?  I knew the hosts and that was about it.  But from the moment I walked in, I just felt at home.  The cast recording was playing and everyone was just milling about, grabbing dinner and singing along.  These were my people.


The festivities started and everyone was all in.  Singing their parts, with the audience making up the Company.  There were some who went as far as bringing costumes and props.  Because theater nerds are the best kind of nerds.

I got to sing some of my favorite songs and stand in the shoes of Eliza, Hamilton, and Burr.  It was definitely as close as I will ever get to performing in Hamilton, and it was ridiculously fun.


The entire evening brought me back to the days of high school, where my theater friends would randomly break into song, and everyone would join them.  It's so much better with a group.

Desserts can be that way too.  Ice cream is fine.  Cake is fine.  Ice cream and cake is better.  Ice cream sundaes - with all the components coming together?  That's music to my ears.

Mocha Banana Split (From Cooking Light)
1 1/2 Tbsp whipping cream
1/2 tsp instant espresso
1 banana, peeled and cut in half crosswise
1/2 cup low fat coffee ice cream
1/2 cup low fat chocolate ice cream
4 tsp chocolate syrup
4 tsp chopped walnuts, toasted
4 tsp chocolate covered espresso beans, chopped
2 cherries
  1. Place whipping cream and instant espresso in an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.  Whisk until soft peaks form.
  2. Cut each banana in half lengthwise.  Place 2 banana quarters in each of 2 bowls.  
  3. Top each with bowl with 1/4 cup coffee ice cream and 1/4 cup chocolate ice cream.
  4. Drizzle each serving  with 2 tsp chocolate syrup and top with half of of whipped cream mixture.
  5. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tsp walnuts, 2 tsp espresso beans and 1 cherry.

2 comments:

  1. I am Hamilton obsessed as well, but the.boy....not so much. A Hamilton party sounds AWESOME though. Might have to change up Remy's birthday party theme...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you got multiple tickets!!! I still haven't seen it, but I'm always on the lookout for tickets. So glad you guys had fun! And that party sounds epic!!!

    ReplyDelete