Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Candle Chase: Creamy Parmesan Chicken


I had to google the name of tonight's song.  I know nothing about it, but I know it.  I don't even know how I know it, just that I do.  I probably learned it as a schoolchild, although it's hard to imagine my hyper-Christian schools teaching it to us.  In any case, the version I know has a hauntingness to it that this one doesn't.  This is a preppy peppy version of the song, so imagine it slower.  It's especially great for young toddlers learning to count!


The timing of Chanukah this year means we're preparing for Christmas at the same time.  Tree, lights, and last weekend we found some time to decorate our gingerbread house.  Thatboy was very into it this year.


  We let him take a lot of artistic control over house, because really, it's all about the kids, isn't it?  I was head elf in charge of icing placement, and Thatboy played the architectural role of construction of the home and front yard landscaping. Thatbaby took the reins when it came to candy.  Both in terms of placement, as well as taste-testing.




 One of my favorite traits about Thatbaby right now is that he loves broccoli as much as candy.  It's so weird, but I'm taking advantage of it.  Right now, he saves his broccoli for last, even stealing mine off of my plate.  He will eat his main course, then ask for dessert, but tells us he wants to save his broccoli for after.  Sounds like a typical kid ploy, right?  Except he means it.  On nights he has dessert, he goes right back to his broccoli afterwards to eat it. 

This meal was a huge favorite for Thatbaby.  While he normally dilly-dallies over his meal, he gobbled up this chicken lickety split.  I don't know if it was the cheese, the creamy sauce, or that he also has an affinity for tomatoes.  Whatever the reason, like the broccoli, I'll take it while I can.

While I was an ambassador for the Fit Foodie 5k, one of the perks I got was Sartori cheese.  Lots and lots of cheese.  It's been over a month and I still have a fridge full of cheese.  It's amazing and wonderful and I'm always looking for ways to use it.  Which is really where the inspiration for this chicken came from.  Chicken Parmesan is a classic dish, but the perfect melty quality of the cheese makes it great for a creamy sauce too.

 Creamy Parmesan Chicken
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 chicken breasts, pounded flat
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chardonnay
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan, grated

  1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat,  Add the chicken and cook about 5 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove from the pan.
  2. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  3. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, scraping up browned pieces from bottom of pan.
  4. Add the broth, cream, sundried tomatoes, and parmesan.  Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 4 minutes.
  5. Put the chicken back in the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook until warmed through before serving.

2 comments:

  1. Thatboy is growing so big. The holidays are really going to get very special with him. He did a beautiul gingerbread house.
    Loves broccoli? Has an affinity with tomatoes? he is definitely a keeper :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you have got one awesome eater on your hands! Especially in the broccoli department.

    ReplyDelete