Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Racin': Black Bean Pie


Last year Thatboy and I left Thatbaby at home and headed to the races with friends.  This year we thought he was old enough to enjoy the festivities.  Especially because Superbaby went the weekend before and had a blast.  I'm no dummy, so I took some tips from Superwoman on how to make the day go well.  Like getting seats instead of just aimlessly roaming the way Thatboy and I usually do.


Thatbaby loved every minute of the races.  He loved watching the "ow-sies run-in" and spent much of the time yelling to them to "run dis way!"



When they played the 10 minute trumpet he got out of his seat and danced.  As the horses approached the finish he jumped on his chair as everyone around us stood and cheered.  He yelled "GO GO GO" with the crowd.


And of course, we had to include the sporting event staple - hot dogs!


Thatbaby was a huge fan of the hot dog.  They're not a regular staple in our household which is I think one of the reasons he went gaga for it.  Although he likes our household staples too.  Especially beans.  We do something with black beans probably once a week.  I'm trying to get creative because bean tacos, bean quesadillas, and bean burritos can get a little old.  This is a twist on those.  An open-faced bean quesadilla, or a bean pie.  My one word of caution - typically in the summer we have a lot of lighter beers hanging around - another household staple.  I love light, fruity beers in the summer.  But when I went to make this, I realized we were all out and I used one of Thatboy's hoppy barleywine beers.  And as it reduced it made my beans a little on the bitter side.  Thatbaby didn't seem to mind, but Thatboy and I didn't.  I recommend using a lighter beer for this - like Blue Moon's Agave Blonde, Hanger 24's Orange Wheat, or the more easily accessible Corona.

Black Bean Pie
4 tortillas
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chile powder
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bottle of beer
1 cup shredded cheddar
  1. Preheat oven to 400.  Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Add the garlic, cumin, and chile powder and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
  3. Add half the beans and the beer to the skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.  Use the back of a fork to smash the beans.
  4. Add the remaining beans and cook for another 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated. 
  5. Place one of the tortillas in a pie pan and place 1/4 of the beans and 1/4 of the cheese on top.  Repeat with the remaining 3 tortillas, beans and cheese.  Bake for 25 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. His enthusiasm is catching! I've never been much into racing of any kind, but it probably actually is a lot of fun if you're there in person!

    ReplyDelete