Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An easy fix


If you haven't been able to tell from my lack of posts, things have been a bit crazy here.  It started before my brother's wedding with me prepping for my first trial.

I've done trial preparation before, but usually I'm prepping for someone else.  This is the first time I had to write an opening, deal with voir dire and other last minute details like prepping witnesses.  This meant many late nights.  In fact, we came home early from the wedding weekend so I could head in to work for more prep. 

Dinners have been ridiculous at our house because of that.  For the most part, I didn't eat.  And when I did, it was something Thatboy had prepared - and he doesn't cook.  And yet, I've decided that he is now in charge of making pizza in our house due to one fabulous midnight meal that was waiting for me one night.

I'm just now getting caught up, almost a month a later.  So dinners are still a little haphazard.  Something quick is really what the times call for.  Like chicken fajitas.  Which I adore.  Especially because I can put steaming hot plates on the table and let Thatboy and I fend for ourselves.  (I'm kind enough to hep Thatbaby out.)  His favorite food right now is tacos, so having fajitas ready to go makes him a very happy baby.  And having something I can easily pull out of the fridge and reheat makes me a very happy girl.

Chicken Fajitas
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced thin
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
Salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts
1/4 cup oj
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 green onion, sliced
tortillas

  1. Heat the oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent. Remove from heat.
  2. Add the oj, half of the cilantro, Worcestershire, garlic, and chipotle to the skillet.
  3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the skillet.  Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. 
  4. Flip the chicken, cover and continue to cook 10 to 12 minutes.
  5. Remove chicken from pan and shred.
  6. Continue to simmer the sauce in the pan until slightly thickened.  
  7. Remove from heat and stir in the chicken, mustard, tomatoes, green onion, and remaining cilantro.  Serve with the pepper/onion mixture and tortillas.

9 comments:

  1. I can't imagine juggling all that AND a baby. You're pretty much wonderwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. Fajitas! Life sure can get crazy sometimes, can't it? How's the trial going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trial is over (thank goodness!) We ended up reaching a settlement agreement, and now that money is forthcoming my client's wife is leaving him. So sad! But that's a story for another day.

      Delete
  3. Life is crazy this way! So glad that the trial is over for you but no doubt you will continue to have many busy, crazy days ahead of you.

    Fajitas, they rock. My kids love them too,

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos! You are once again singing my song: delicious, nutritious, and completely economical!
    YUM
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a flavourful dish that can be pulled together quickly. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness.... can I please have that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks super yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh chicken fajitas sound great right now.

    ReplyDelete