Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Tofu? It's not even Friday!

I love garlic. Love love love it. My mom's the same way, but unfortunately, as she's gotten older, she just can't handle it any more. I feel sorry for her. Garlic is one of those things that flavors a dish without really adding much else. It's absolutely perfect for tofu which lacks its own flavor. Just gets niiiice and garlicy. mmmm little garlic cubes of goodness.
This recipe is especially easy because really, all you do is add the garlic sauce to the fried tofu and in almost seconds dinner is ready. Perfect for a work night. Unfortunately I didn't make enough for leftovers, which I was pretty bummed about, given that this was sooo good.
Garlic Fried Tofu
1/2 pckg of extra firm tofu
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup steak sauce
1/8 cup water
1/4 onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
salt
pepper

1) Cut tofu in half and place on paper towels on a plate. Cover with paper towels and another dish. Let sit for 30 minutes to drain out water. (Brownie points for the class if they remember why we do this)
2) Combine all other ingredients and whisk.
3) In a large saute pan, heat 1 Tbsp of oil. Add tofu. Cook until the tofu is golden brown on all sides.
4) Add sauce. Bring to a boil, and lower to a simmer. Let simmer a little bit and then serve.

4 comments:

  1. You are an egg. White on the outside, yellow on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weezer, perfect analogy, I was thinking the same thing. I too am a tofu lover, it's my "diet food".

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto Weems. You are def more yellow than I am. B/c of you I actually bought tofu last night. I will be trying this recipe tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy! I just made a fresh batch of Tofu w/my Soyquick Soymilk machine, It is the bomb :) It only costs 14 cents to make a liter of sfrsh soymilk, or a nice block of tofu! be my friend at Myspace.com/Sandra Phillips, Asheboro,N.C. 27203

    ReplyDelete