Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Superbowl Snack: Air Fryer Buffalo Wings



I got an air fryer two years ago and for the most part, I bring it out when I want to cook frozen food fast - frozen fries, corn dogs, or veggies.

But I've been trying to use it more.  It's been hit or miss.  It took several different recipes and variations before we finally found a chicken tender recipe that got them nice and crispy (hint: the secret is adding the oil to the panko before breading instead of spraying or drizzling oil on the breaded chicken.)

So far the most successful air frying has been buffalo wings.  Which is perfect, since this weekend is the Superbowl and I'm willing to bet it's the day with the highest buffalo wing consumption of the year.  (Feel free to check me on that)  I know that we always have wings on our Superbowl menu.

The thing I love about making buffalo wings in the air fryer is that you don't need any additional oil to get them nice and crispy.  Part of this is due to the fact that chicken wings are already a bit fatty because of the skin to meat ratio.  Which is the other nice thing about the air fryer - that fat, drips right off an into the bottom of the fryer, which means your wings aren't sitting in a bed of grease while they cook.  So they come out perfectly crispy and dry!

I've been playing around with the sauce on these, and finally hit upon a declared winner last night.  You are free to use whatever hot sauce you prefer, but after experimentation, we decided our favorite was the classic Franks Buffalo sauce.  You'll also notice this recipe uses ghee in place of butter, which, combined with the Frank's sauce, gives the wings a really great buttery flavor to make up for the fact they're not dripping in oil.

Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
1 lb chicken wings (separated into drums and flats if necessary)
1/8 cup ghee
1/4 cup Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  1. Place chicken wings in air fryer.  Depending on size of your air fryer you may need to do this in 2 batches.
  2. Cook at 375 for 15 minutes.  Flip the wings over and cook for an additional 12 minutes.
  3. While the chicken is cooking combine ghee, buffalo sauce, and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl.
  4. Toss the cooked chicken wings in the sauce and serve.

3 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I've been here and I see that the kids grew up a lot! I don't have air fryer but these wings look absolutely lip licking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got an air fryer for Christmas and so far I've only used it to make fries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good. My favorite thing in the air fryer is frozen mozzarella sticks.

    ReplyDelete