Pages

Wednesday, October 02, 2019

A Viking We Will Go: Swedish Limpa


First off, I just need to acknowledge TODAY IS THATKID'S BIRTHDAY!  He's officially 8 years old, which, whew - we made it through another year!  We've got big birthday plans this weekend, so I'll hold off on an update until then. 

For now, I invite you to join me as we step back in time.

Way back.

To the time of the vikings.


See, last year Thatbaby was obsessed with a Frozen Night Before Christmas book.  In the book, Olaf narrates, and one of the things he talks about is leaving krumkake out for Santa.  Thatbaby was dying to try krumkake - a rolled cookie filled with cream.  We spent much of our Christmas break looking for one, and were fruitless.  But in my research I learned there was a viking festival closer to home that had some.  So I kept my eyes open for the Viking Festival and when I got the date, I packed us up and we headed out.

Krumkake success!


We also got to tour a viking settlement and see how the other half slept.



Thatkid and I read a lot of Norse Mythology over the past year, so it was really fun to see it come to life in the form of a puppet show.


And what would any good festival be without the feats of strength and courage.  The boys could have sat around and watched the fights all day.


Especially since they got to make their own swords and shields.



One of the re-enactors taught the kids how to play Hnefatafl, or Viking Chess.  While they played, his girlfriend pointed out to me "the most expensive bread you'll ever buy."  I asked her if it was worth it, and she said no.  I asked her what made it so special, and she told me it was because it was handmade.  Well friends, I can make my own bread.  And I often do.  I found a recipe for "Swedish Limpa" from James Beard and decided that this is probably very similar to "Viking Bread."  It's a rye bread, with flavors of orange and cardamom.  It's hearty, to stand up to time on a ship, or cold Nordic winters.  Maybe with some krumkake.


Swedish Limpa (by James Beard)
2 pkgs active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp finely chopped candied orange peel
1 tsp ground cardamom
2 1/2 cups rye flour
2 1/2 cups flour
  1. Proof the yeast in the warm water with the sugar.
  2. Combine molasses, melted butter, salt, orange peel, cardamom, 1 cup of rye flour and 1 cup of flour in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.  
  3. Add yeast mixture and continue to blend until the dough is a smooth paste.
  4. Gradually beat in the remaining flours and knead until smooth.
  5. Place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size.
  6. Divide into 2 parts and shape into oval loaves.  Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise another hour until doubled in bulk.
  7. Bake at 375 for 1 hour.



1 comment:

  1. We read that book a lot too! I never did figure out what krumkake was...thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete