Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Fishy Fieldtrip: Aquarium Jello


My first big mistake was offering to be a chaperone  for the first grade aquarium field trip.  I can't help it, I always want to be a help.  And I had no idea what I was in for.


My group was 4 boys.  All friends.  All trouble.


The goodness is I knew these boys well enough that of the three that weren't mine, I had 2 of their moms already in my phone.  And if you think I didn't resort to using that as leverage on them, you'd be sorely mistaken. 

The aquarium is small, but it was hard keeping track of these kids in such a crowded environment with multiple exits to each room.

I herded them through the rooms, stopping to breathe on the few occasions they actually stopped to watch the fish.


I did manage to corral them into one of the exhibits about "animal oddities" where I had them pick out their animal super powers.





And of course, the touch pools were very popular.



The outdoor areas were my favorite since they had a single point of entry/exit.


I was absolutely exhausted by the time we got these kids back on the bus to head back to school.   So this little snack?  It's in honor of the fieldtrip, but not something we ate that day.  Honestly, I think I may have fallen asleep on the couch shortly after getting home.

After the aquarium, we all went to the beach and had lunch there.  When I asked Thatkid what I should pack, he wanted something aquarium themed.  He got a turkey sandwich and goldfish crackers.  I made it up to him later with these aquarium themed jello cups.  I used Trader Joes Scandinavian Swimmers because they're my favorite, but any gummy fish will do.


Aquarium Jello
2 cups white grape juice
2 packets of unflavored gelatin
blue food coloring
2 cups ice
gummy fish
  1.  Place gelatin in a medium bowl.  
  2. Bring grape juice to a boil in a small saucepan and pour over the gelatin.
  3. Add food coloring to reach your desired color for the "water."
  4. Stir in ice cubes and continue stirring until the ice cubes have melted.
  5. Pour the gelatin mixture into 4 clear cups and refrigerate until it has started to set, about 10-15 minutes.
  6. Using a sharp knife, cut some slits in the gelatin and use a toothpick to place the gummy fish into the slits.  Put back into the fridge until fully set, about 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. OH my gosh. That sounds exhausting, both mentally and physically! I get so stressed out when taking JUST Remy to places like that...I can't imagine having to keep an eye on four kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it was exhausting, but I also bet he loved having you there. What a lucky kid.

    ReplyDelete