Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Pi Day: Smores Pudding Pie


Tomorrow is March 14.  3/14.  3.14.  Otherwise known as "Pi Day."  A day in which we celebrate the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter by eating a homophone.  And that my friends is probably the nerdiest sentence you will ever read in this blog. 

But back to Pi/Pie day.  Every year it sneaks up on me.  I wake up, realize through social media that it is indeed the 14th of March, and scramble to find a pie at a market or bakery.  And they told you to beware the IDES of March.  Ha!

But this year I was ahead of the game.  Ahead enough that I have got a pie in the refrigerator right now, just chilling and getting ready for tomorrow.   Although, I realized that I might forget the date because this is SUCH a busy week in this household.  I'm also simultaneously prepping for St. Patrick's Day, Thatmom's birthday, and Purim.  And a trip.  And a couple of work deadlines.




So I may have cheated a little.  I went for the easiest pie I could think of.  A no bake pudding pie.  With a graham cracker crust, so I didn't even have to mess with dough.   But as I was making it, I kept thinking about chocolate and graham cracker and realized I had a bunch of mini marshmallow bites in the pantry leftover from groundhog's day that would turn this simple pudding pie into a smores pie!  Throw on some chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs for good measure and it still is the easiest pie ever, but dressed up in it's Pi Day best.


Smores Pudding Pie
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 6 ounces) (plus extra for sprinkling on top)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
1 pkg instant chocolate pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
1 container cool whip
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup marshmallow bits
  1. Mix the graham crackers with sugar and melted butter and press into bottom and sides of 9 inch pie pan. Chill while preparing filling.
  2.  Whisk the milk into the chocolate pudding for 2 minutes.
  3. Place half of the chocolate pudding into the chilled pie crust.
  4. Whisk half of the cool whip into the remaining chocolate pudding and spread this mixture over the top of the chocolate pudding in the pie crust.
  5.  Spread the remaining cool whip over the pie.
  6. Sprinkle with chocolate chip, marshmallow bits, and graham cracker crumbs.  Refrigerate overnight.

1 comment:

  1. It may be easy but you really can't go wrong with a pudding pie, no matter the occasion!

    ReplyDelete