Pages

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Crave Wednesday: Creamy Potato Salad


Another holiday means another trip to see my inlaws.  Easter found us journeying to their neck of the woods for a short weekend which felt a lot longer.  But we'll get to that.

Let's start with Easter morning.  Our new status quo is to stay at a hotel when we visit, which definitely helps my outlook, knowing I'll have at least a couple hours away from Thatboy's family.   Luckily, staying at a hotel has never prevented the Easter bunny from finding us.   He left baskets for the boys, with a trail of eggs helping them find their goodies.




What's funny is that despite the fact that the green basket held a swimsuit that fit Thatbaby, and a book aimed for Thatbaby, Thatkid was convinced it was his, because he wanted that green bunny.  He decided the bunny must have made a mistake.  Next year the Easter bunny is going to have to write names on those baskets.

We let the boys dig through their candy for a little bit before ordering up room service for breakfast.  As usual, Easter fell on Passover, which always makes being with Thatboy's family more difficult.  Despite acknowledging our "dietary restrictions" they refuse to make any accommodations.  So we ate a breakfast we knew everyone could eat.  I'm glad we did, because this was to be the only food we had all day.  TBIL, who was hosting Easter lunch/dinner/food for the day served lasagna and tortilla chips.  Neither of which Passover compliant.


After breakfast everyone got dressed so we could head over to spend the day with inlaws.  I love these cuties in their Easter best.







We got there and spent most of the morning trying to keep the boys from breaking everything in their house until it was time to dye eggs.

Both boys took naps while we waited for the rest of the guests to arrive.  Then we watched them eat.  Then finally it was time for the kids to do their egg hunt!



Thatkid did a great job of helping his little brother find eggs, and they both had baskets full.  There was more playing with the kids, and then we called it a night.

It wasn't dark yet, so the boys convinced us to try out the new swimsuits the Easter Bunny had brought.


The water was freezing cold, and it wasn't warm outside, so I waited on a lounger while they swam.


And I was there to wrap up my cold children when they emerged from the water.

 

Then it was up to the room and into pajamas, ready for bed for the night.
 


The next day brought us back to TMIL's house to kill some time before our flight home.




It was a very long, very hungry weekend.  And really, at this point, I blame myself.  It's been 17 years.  I don't know why I keep expecting it to be different.  TMIL makes Easter dinner for the night before Easter every year.  And every year, without fail, she serves the same thing - lamb and rice.  Despite being told every year that no one in our family can eat rice.  I was complaining to Thatmom that now I'm annoyed because it doesn't just affect me, it affects my children.  "What's so wrong with potatoes?"  she asked.  "Why does it have to be rice?"  Which is so true.  Mashed potatoes are lovely with lamb.  As are baked potatoes.  And there's always potato salad.  Which, okay, sure, maybe doesn't go so great with lamb.  But it works fantastically well with ham - which I always thought was the traditional Easter meal anyway.  This potato salad works especially well with ham.  It's the spicy mustard, really.  Mustard and ham/mustard and potato - it's the unifying ingredient.  I also like potato salads that use hard-boiled eggs - which also works well during Easter when there are so many hard-boiled eggs just lying around.

So next year, I know I won't have time to make anything for Easter dinner, but this potato salad might ensure my family has something to eat on Easter day!


Creamy Potato Salad (From Cooking Light)
1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled
1/3 cup canola mayonnaise
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp spicy brown mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup relish
2 hard-boiled eggs, finely shredded
  1. Place potatoes in water to cover.  Bring to a boil.  Cook 20 minutes, or until tender.  Drain.  Cool 15 minutes.  Cut into cubes.
  2. Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
  3. Add potatoes, green onions, relish and eggs.  Toss to coat.  

3 comments:

  1. Your boys look so cute in their Easter outfits!!! I'm glad they had fun.

    That is crazy about the rice. I can't imagine my mom doing that... she's always going out of her way to accommodate all of our crazy food preferences (and it's just that - we're picky, not allergic). Y'all should BYO. Maybe she'd get the message... or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure they had a lot of fun! My mom always tries to please everyone in the family especially her grandchild! The potato looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that's so frustrating!! You would think she would make some concessions rather than let her GRANDKIDS go hungry. I can't even imagine. My inlaws always make sure there is something veg for me (and now Remy) to eat. Usually frozen stuffed shells or ravioli, but that's nothing to sniff at!

    ReplyDelete