Pages

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Sunday Runday: The End of the Road

On Saturday, May 23 I went for a 5.5 mile run/walk with some friends.  Later that day I started having contractions - more discomfort than anything else, but it was a start.  By the end of the week I was showing definite progress in terms of dilation and effacement, and when I mentioned Saturday to my doctor she told me to keep it up and maybe things would progress even more.

So I did.  I was great about getting in a couple miles a day while at work, sticking with the run/walking because it worked that Saturday.

On Tuesday of last week I upped it to 3 miles, because I had the time to kill.  Plus I was having contractions at the time and hoped maybe a little run would amp them into something.  But they didn't.

I tried again on Wednesday, which would turn out to be my last run of the pregnancy.  About .10 of a mile in, I got a sharp pain in my groin muscle.  In all honesty, I think I pulled that sucker.  It wasn't enough to send me to the floor, but it was sore for days after.  I decided to leave well enough alone and hang up my running shoes for the next few weeks.

In retrospect I'm happy I was able to make it through all 40 weeks of pregnancy and continue running, but I'm a little bummed it had to end on such a painful note.

So Sunday Runday fans - stay tuned.  It'll be a little quiet here for a bit since there's not much to write about when I'm not running, but I'll be back soon with updates about my eventual return.

1 comment:

  1. You amaze me with the fact that you made it through all 40 weeks! Exercise of any form is so good for the baby, so cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete