Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday Runday: Hit the Dirt

I wanted to take a minute or two to talk about trail running.  It's funny to me that some people are intimidated by trails - don't be!  Trails are fantastic.  They're better for your joints and body than pavement, and you don't have to worry about being hit by a car.

There are some cons to trail running.  The first is that most people are generally slower on trails.  They're a little more hazardous with loose rocks and dirt.  Some trails can be very narrow.   You often do have to avoid bikers.  And of course, there are the very real hazards of snakes and other wildlife.

But if you ask me, the benefits far outweigh the risks.  Trails have an inherent beauty to them because you're surrounded by nature.

I used to run on trails all the time, there was one just half a mile from our home, so that was my daily route.  Now I'm not nearly as close to a trail, so my daily route are the streets surrounding my home.  And then one of my running friends introduced me to a great nearby trail run.



 It's not half a mile away, I do have to get in my car and drive there.  But it's great for longer runs.  And so, often on the weekends I head there to get a nice, long, quiet run in.

The views always make it feel worthwhile.









2 comments:

  1. Although I can't run to save my life. I do enjoy the trails around my home frequently. Walking the trails is superior to walking on hard pavement.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trail runs are hard to come by in NYC, but I have done a few just north of the city. Always fun!

    ReplyDelete