Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Single Parenting It: Steak Torta


This is the second time Thatboy has left me at home with the baby while he's headed up to be with TFIL.  The first time, last month, I contacted L&O for some tips/advice.  Since Mr. L&O doesn't have a normal 9-5 job, L&O functions as a single parent many days/nights of the week. 

As usual, L&O had some great advice for me.  Which I implemented.  And though I would not say I'm handling this with any semblance of grace, at least we've got a bit of a routine down.

It starts with Thatbaby waking me up.  Which can be anywhere from 6am to 7am.  (And as nice as that 7am sounds, it only happens when he's up all night.  Sunday night I got 80 minutes of sleep all night) 

We then put on sweatshirts and shoes and walk Thatdog in our pajamas.  Then we have breakfast.  From then on I do my best to wash my face, get dressed, and do my hair and makeup with a constant soundtrack of "mama mommy mama mommy mama mama mama mama mama mama."

After work, I pick him up and we head home to give Thatdog a quick walk.  Then I try to heat up dinner to a constant soundtrack of "mama mommy mama mommy mama mama mama mama mama mama."  After dinner, it's time for Thatdog's long walk.  We head to the trail about a quarter mile from my house, but we rarely make it there.  Thatbaby gets too distracted by snails, bunnies, birds, trucks, and ants.

When we come home, it's bathtime.  Then pajama time.  Then story time.  We usually call Thatboy at this time and he reads a story over the phone to Thatbaby.  Then it's nursing and bedtime.

And then I head to the shower.  And then I make dinner for the next night.  And then I clean up all the dishes.  By this time it's around 10:30 and time for bed for me!

In light of this, we've been having very easy peasy meals that don't take long to prep or reheat.  Things like pizza, veggie dogs, mac and cheese, and sandwiches.  For these tortas I cooked the meat the night before and just assembled the sandwiches after work.


Steak Tortas
  • 1/2 lb carne asada
  • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 chipotle chile, minced
  • juice of one lime 
  • 2 torta rolls
  • 1/2 cup refried beans
  • 1 avocado, sliced
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar Jack cheese
  1. Heat grill pan over medium high heat.  Season the carne asada with salt and pepper and grill about 4 minutes per side.  Let rest 5 minutes, then slice thinly.
  2. Whisk together the yogurt, chile and lime juice.
  3. Spread refried beans on the bottom half of the torta roll then top with the steak, avocado, cheese, and yogurt sauce.

3 comments:

  1. This is one great sandwich!!! Love everything you put in it... very tex-mex!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are doing this like a champ and really managing as best you can! Easy meals are definitely key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 80 minutes....oh gawd. Brutal. You're doing better than I did. When R left, I ordered Chinese food. Enough to last me most meals for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete