Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

For Boston: Chicken Meat Sauce



It's amazing how something that makes you feel so good, can also make you so vulnerable.  It's not the first time I've had that thought.

On February 25, 2010, 17 year old Chelsea King was raped and murdered while on a popular jogging trail in a suburban San Diego community.  Runners from around the county continue to run in her memory.

As a morning runner for years, the idea of my vulnerability always played on the edges of my consciousness as I ran in those early, pre-sunrise hours.  It's the reason I run with Thatdog, always carrying my phone.  Now, running in the evenings, I ensure my route does not keep me on the unlit trail after the sun goes down.

Yesterday, Thatboy texted me with news of Boston, asking if I knew anyone running this year.  I didn't, but at the same time - as a I runner, I do.  I will probably never qualify for the Boston Marathon - it's not one of my life goals.  But I know the feeling of those runners.  I know the work and dedication they went through to get there.  I know the feeling of accomplishment, the adrenaline rush.  And when something happens to those runners, it happens to us all.  Whether you were there or not, we all suffered on Monday.  Runners don't wear padding.  We expect our bodies to be sore, and certain injuries are just about inevitable, but there are something things you don't expect. 

Tonight on my run I passed several other runners.  More than I usually do on my evening run.  We did the typical runner's nod as we passed each other - but tonight there was something more there.  A moment for those who lost their lives, for those who were injured.  I've always said that I run because I can.  I know how lucky I am to be able to go out and run, even for a short distance when so many can't.  My thoughts go to those in Boston.  The runners, their families and friends, the community in general.  And I hope we are able to heal.

As I said, I went on a run tonight, as did many others.  Running in support of those in Boston.  Because we will not stop running.  We will not stay inside and give up.  And in honor of that, I'm sharing a great carb-loading recipe with you.  For all the runners, wanna-be runners, and supporters of runners.

Chicken Meat Sauce
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp sundried tomatoes, sliced 
1/3 cup white wine
2 cans crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
3 springs parsley, chopped
1 cup basil, chiffonade
  1. Heat olive oil over medium heat.  Brown chicken, and remove from heat.
  2. Add onion, sundried tomato and garlic to pan and cook until onion is transluscent.
  3. Add wine, scraping pan to remove browned pieces of chicken.
  4. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 15 minutes.
  5. Add the chicken and continue to cook for 15 more minutes.  Remove from heat.
  6. Stir in the parsley and basil.  Serve over your favorite pasta.

3 comments:

  1. GREAT post. I pretty much always run when it's light out, on the Central Park running path which is full of other runners so I take my safety for granted...but really anything can happen. We will all be strong though and push through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Joanne...Great post.

    My heart breaks at the tragedy in Boston. I am always amazed that people commit such senseless acts of violence, and think it is a good idea. We can't live in fear, we just need to continue to live and enjoy,

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart aches for every innocent soul that is lost in the name of a completely irrational cause everywhere in this world. It scares me how much damage we people can cause to each other. To be honest I don't feel that optimistic about getting things better in this issue and that makes me wonder about the heavy legacy we hand over to our children!

    ReplyDelete