Pages

Thursday, February 07, 2013

Meat for My Men: Fettuccine with Sausage Ragu


My boss and I were heading home from a client meeting when he apologized for keeping me away from my family on the nights I work late.  In truth, I don't mind it when I know in advance, so I can plan meals for the boys.  And I told my boss as much.  We discussed the types of meals I usually leave for them, and a lot of times it's pasta. I confided that lately I've been doing a lot of lemon pasta, even though Thatboy doesn't like it, because it's a little different from the typical marinara.

My boss asked if I ever made meat sauce, and I realize that I don't. Since that time, I've started working some meat sauces into our menu.  Thatboy loves sauces with meat and it's a nice change for him! 

Sausage seems like a natural choice for a meat sauce.  Maybe that's because growing up we often had sausage with our pasta.  This is a great, easy, sausage sauce and it made enough for dinner and a couple of lunches!

Fettuccine with Sausage Ragu (as seen on Journey of an Italian Cook)
1 pound fettuccine
3 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
14 oz beef broth
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 28-ounce can San Marzano whole tomatoes, drained
 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup milk 
  1. Cook the fettuccine according to package directions. 
  2. Soak the mushrooms in the beef broth for 30 minutes. 
  3. Melt the butter in a large skillet.  Add the onions and cook until transluscent.
  4. Add sausage and cook until browned.
  5. Add the wine, mushrooms and broth, tomato paste, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for an hour.
  6. Stir in the nutmeg and milk and simmer 10-15 minutes.
  7. Toss with the fettuccine and serve.

2 comments:

  1. This is a hearty dish for everyone, packed full of flavour and quick to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww it's kind of sweet that your boss said this to you! At least it implies that he values your time!

    ReplyDelete