Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Simple Shepherd Supper



Thatdad had a very different culinary upbringing than I did. There are stories told of frozen tuna sandwiches, sloppy joes, fluffernutters, and shepherd's pie. I didn't grow up with most of those dishes. Every now and then, when Thatmom would go out of town Thatdad would make us fluffernutters for lunch. And I think maybe once or twice Thatmom indulged him and made us sloppy joes. But mostly I grew up on roast chicken, broiled shrimp, and Peking duck.

I remember the first time I made a Turkey Pot Pie and it quickly became one of Thatdad and Thatboy's favorite meals I made. A definite throw back meal that wasn't a household staple for me, but easy enough with leftover Thanksgiving meat. I mean really, all you're doing is making a bit of a stew and covering it with pie crust.

I was under the impression that Shepherd's pie must be something similar, but I never made the elusive dish. I stuck with my pot pies. Even after I learned that it's a different creature in that it's covered with mashed potatoes and not pie crust.

And then I tried it. It was at an Irish pub - a great place to try new foods. And it seemed like such a fantastic concept. First of all, who doesn't like mashed potatoes? Especially when they're baked and golden. A cross between a mash and a hashbrown. Over a lamb stew? It seems like such a simple concept, but at the same time ingenius.


Shepherd's Pie
1/2 cups ground lamb, cooked
1 clove garlic
1/2 onion
1 sprig rosemary, chopped
2 Tbsp butter
1Tbsp flour
1/4 cup beef broth
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups mashed potatoes
  1. Preheat oven to 375. Mix together the lamb, garlic, onion, and rosemary and pulse in a food processor until combined.
  2. Melt butter in a skillet and stir in flour, stirring until blended.
  3. Add the beef broth and cook until you have a thick gravy.
  4. Add the lamb mixture, and salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Spoon the mixture into a pie dish and spread the mashed potatoes over top. Bake about 40 minutes, until potatoes have formed a golden crust.

3 comments:

  1. That really does sound quite lovely. It's a bit warm here now, but I plan to try this as soon as we have cooler weather.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made this in the traditional way with ground lamb but it would be equally as delicous with beef. This is one of my favourites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm comfort food. I adore fluffernutters and shepherd's pie is pretty fab also!

    ReplyDelete