Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Welcome Back to the Stone Age



I'm not very technologically advanced. In many ways, that makes me older than my years. For instance, Thatboy and I just became involved in the phenomena known as "texting" some time last year. And that "texting" is pretty much the high tech extent of my phone's abilities. I mean, sure, it can snap a photo of something, and if you squint your head and turn it at just the right angle you might barely be able to figure out with image I was trying to capture. But it doesn't have any other non-phone capabilities.

Which brings me to the topic at hand. Most of you know I started a new job in October. And one of these days I'll regale you with stories of crazy bosses and even crazier interview stories. The new job is for a larger firm than I'm used to working for - a firm large enough to have their own line of clothing apparel. "Dear Thatgirl," the email began, "The Firm will be purchasing you a shirt or sweatshirt of your choosing. Please make your selection from the following list." And when I tested my buddy who works at the main office to ask what the heck this was about, she shot back "They have EVERYTHING! I just ordered a blanket!"

The Firm is awesome in so many ways, including the offices in a fancy-schmancy downtown building which affords me lovely distractions like a view and the near constant sounds of ambulances and police cars.


Thatboy and I have been taking advantage of working so close together and meeting for lunch dates and dinner adventures. Today he even joined me for an oral argument since he had just finished up his own hearing next door.

However, this new job isn't all perks. This is the first firm I've worked for with its very own in-house tech support, who is able to access my computer remotely every time I need help with this stupid billing program that I SWEAR wasn't installed correctly onto my computer. And along with this in-house tech support comes some good ole fashioned big brother monitoring. Monitoring of every internet website I visit. And while a visit to the "tentative ruling" page of the court isn't going to raise any eyebrows, many other of my favorite internet sites could spell T-r-o-u-b-l-e (that's with a capital T for you Harold Hill fans). Which means I literally only go online if it's work related, and everything else has to wait until I get home in the evening.

And folks, I am not getting home early. I was completely spoiled by my last job, even though the crazy level was through the roof. The area of law I was working in meant that we were very rarely in court, meeting with clients, or attending depositions. It was mostly just phone calls with clients and letters to opposing counsel. And most of the clients weren't in California, which meant their work day ended much earlier than ours. I remember my first week of work, when I stayed until 5:15 and one of the partners told me it was ridiculous of me to stay so late. By 5:05 every person who worked there was gone (4:30 on Fridays). Now I'm hardly ever home before 7 and I'm then I'm putting up dinner, packing lunches, and trying to get the day's chores under control so I can be in by 10, ready to start all over the next day. Thatboy helps out as much as he can. Earlier this week I came home and the floors were all swept clean and the laundry was in the dryer. But there is still just enough time to answer some emails and read a couple blogs before I hit the hay. My online social networking, which was never very present to begin with, is virtually non-existent.

On the plus side, it's really helped me get back to the basics in terms of communications. My close friends know that if they want to tell me something they'd better text me or call if it's important, email if it can wait till the evening. Like Nicole, who texted me the morning of my second day of work to send me "no crying" vibes. Or Michelle, who waits until 9pm to gchat me her latest drama of the day. I feel like I'm back in high school- before the age of cellphones in every pocket and laptops on every desk. Back in the days where you'd spend all night talking to your bestie on the phone, or when you were allowed 1 hour of computer "free time" to chat with your friends on that new "instant messenger" program.

In honor of my trip back to the days of yabba dabba doo here's a fantastic caveman entree, sure to satisfy your favorite homonid. I mean, after all, it has three sure fire man pleasers: beans, sausage, and bacon. I picture a grip of men surrounding a fire cooking this - whether it be early cave dwellers, cowhands, or even a bunch of hobos tired from a day of riding the range. No matter what, I can tell you something they all have in common. NONE of them have any access to the internet during the day. Just like me!




Caveman Jambalaya
  • Turkey sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 4 strips of bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green pepper, chopped
  • 1 can BBQ baked beans

1. In a saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain.
2. Add onion, pepper, and sausage. Cook until vegetables are tender crisp.
3. Stir in beans and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you might just live an even more crazed existence than i do. Although I spend just about every living second on the internet doing everything BUT what I'm supposed to be doing. Case in point.

    That jambalaya looks awesome. If I were a caveman, I'd be all over it.

    ReplyDelete