Pages

Friday, August 14, 2009

Taking it home

I didn't grow up with eggs benedict. In fact, in theory, there is nothing about eggs benedict I should like. Texture is huge with me and runny egg tops the "icky texture" list for me. So much so that my scrambled eggs are perfect when they're starting to turn brown. And I like to poach my eggs until that yolk isn't going anywhere. So you can understand why the idea of topping a runny egg with a runny sauce would be kind of a turnoff.

And yet, if you've been a fairly loyal reader, you'll notice that I order eggs benedict on a number of occasions for breakfast. So how do I justify this? I don't. I can't explain it. I'm just perverse like that.

I do have to say, I like my eggs benedict with a twist - like the cornbread at Sophies, or the guacamole at Katy's Place. So when I decided to make them at home, I added my favorite veggie - spinach! I told Thatboy that I was pretty much Popeye because of my love for spinach, and he informed me that Popeye doesn't like brussels sprouts as much as I do.


Spinach Benedict
  • 1/2 cup fage yogurt
  • tabasco sauce
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp olive oil
  • 4 slices canadian bacon
  • 1/2 pkg frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
  • 1/4 tsp white vinegar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 english muffin, toasted

  1. Mix yogurt with 4-5 dashes of tabasco and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  2. Heat olive oil over medium heat and add Canadian bacon. Cook until Canadian bacon is heated through and browned.
  3. Add spinach to pan and cook until spinach is warm.
  4. Bring 2 inches of water to simmer in a large skillet and add the vinegar. Bring to a boil.
  5. Crack each egg into a small cup and slip into the water, careful not to break the yolk!
  6. Cook the egg until the white is firmly set.
  7. Top each english muffin with half of the spinach, a poached egg, and the yogurt sauce.

3 comments:

  1. To eat a runny egg all on its own, is yukkee, but with eggs Benedict, everything just comes together so beautifully!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love your addition of spinach. It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim is a huge eggs benedict fan. He, too, likes them with a twist.

    ReplyDelete