Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Holiday Movie Review


Thatboy and I go through movie phases. We watch movies at home at an alarming rate, but we'll go for months without setting foot in a theater. And then all of a sudden, it's like we're always at the theater.

Recently it started with Thanksgiving. We had a family tradition where Thatdad, Thatbrother and I would go see a movie on Thanksgiving day, leaving my mom to cook in peace. Thatboy got in on the act just as soon as we were married and he started spending Thanksgiving with us. This year I didn't really want to go to the movies without Thatdad - maybe it's something that will re-emerge when we have kids, but for now it's a tradition that's going dormant.

Instead, the day after Thanksgiving Toxicesq, Thatmom, Thatboy and I went to see a movie. And I think we've been going for every week since!


It started with "The Blindside." We all went into this movie with pretty low expectations - but there was a severe dearth of movies playing during Thanksgiving weekend. Surprising, no? (Thatboy was pushing for New Moon - but he was outvoted, more on that later) Anyway we all loved this movie. It's the perfect family film because it has a happy ending. Even though none of us are sports fans (Thatboy couldn't identify what city the Seahawks played for when I asked him last night) we all enjoyed the movie way more than we thought we would.


Next came "Up in the Air." The movie was okay, another circumstance of "there's nothing else really out there" although I think we all wanted to see this movie. Don't get me wrong, the movie was definitely okay, but I would classify it as a renter, and not necessarily worthy of all the hype it's getting. It was definitely a change from all the Judd Apatow style comedies we've been seeing lately.



Christmas Day we went to see "Nine." If you want a REALLY fun experience, you should go see a movie loaded with sex sitting next to your 80 year old ex-priest father in law. I spent the whole movie telling Thatboy how uncomfortable I was. BUT I still managed to enjoy the movie. Enough where I'm looking forward to renting it and watching it at home in a more suitable environment. I loved the musical productions which were big, bold, and colorful.


Shortly after Christmas we saw "New Moon." A couple years back, Prez got me "Twilight" for a birthday present. She thought I would like it given my love for vampire stories. It went to the bottom of my bedside "to read" pile, but Thatboy got to it before I did and fell in love. He was already into the second book, New Moon when I started reading it. I can remember the exact moment I turned to Thatboy with exasperation and asked WTF was up with this book. I was angry. He laughed. As I read I got angrier and angrier. Thatboy and L both told me not to keep reading. The main character can't walk two steps without falling down, so much so that the author has her being carried the entire second half of the book (Jasper carried her up the stairs, Edward carried her down the stairs, Alice carried her to the car.........). And when the guy she's been making goo goo eyes at? the one she's been doodling Mrs. Hislastname all over her books? The moment he acknowledges her presence she gets ANGRY at him for getting to go to school and not having to go to the hospital with her. It only gets more and more ridiculous as the series goes on. I know. I read over Thatboy's shoulder every now and again. Mostly to annoy him. Unfortunately, the producers of the movie are in cahoots with Thatboy because the movies all come out his birthday weekend. Which means I get to go to the theater with Thatboy and about 300 fifteen year old girls and lonely single women. (I know this because there were pretty much people fainting in the aisles when one character took off his shirt during the movie). I stalled for as long as possible, even planning a trip to Las Vegas the weekend of his birthday, but there is only so long you can stall the inevitable.


I had to wait a while to see our last movie because UDubb and I had made plans to see it together. Neither Thatbrother or Thatboy were interested in "The Princess and the Frog", so we were going to do a girls date. And then the boys jumped in. Thatboy didn't want to be left out, and Thatbrother got guilted into it. I believe UDubb's direct quote was "I see so many of your crappy movies, at least this one is only 90 minutes." It was so much fun to see an old school Disney movie again - with a princess, and talking animals, and most importantly - music! I bet it'll only be 20 minutes before you'll be seeing it on Broadway.


And you know what goes great with movies? Popcorn. Well, I believe popcorn goes great with everything, but especially movies. I love love love making my own popcorn too. Everytime I expect it to be greasy and oily because, well you dump all this oil in a pot. And I never cease to be amazed when it comes out light, fluffy, with nary a trace of oil. Which helps when you want to cover it with spices. This is my take on kettle corn. The sugar makes it sweet like kettle corn, but the 5 spice powder gives it a kick of cinnamon and other yummy flavors which is even better than kettle corn.




Better 'n Kettle Corn
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp 5 spice powder


  1. Put kernels, oil, and salt in large bowl. Cover with lid and cook over medium heat.
  2. When corn starts popping, shake the pot back and forth (like Jiffy pop!)
  3. As soon as the popping slows, remove from heat.
  4. Add sesame seeds and shake to distribute.
  5. Sprinkle 5 spice powder and sugar over popcorn.

6 comments:

  1. I have yet to see any of these movies....so I better get cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so behind on movies, it's not even funny. :/ Up In The Air will be on our Netflix que though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really want to see "nine." i think i'll end up waiting for it on DVD, though - no one else in the wan house is interested. :/

    that popcorn looks fabulous! i think i'll have to make some for our next movie night in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So did you like New Moon?

    Oh, and I am definitely going to try that popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reviews! I am one of those crazy Twilight fans too. It is very laughable and I have almost forgotten what it was like to be a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete