Our second party of the weekend was a Memorial Day potluck at the home of the HorseWhisperers. Our entrance had never been so well received. The rest of the guests were HW's classmates she recently graduated with. Mr. HW was thrilled to see Thatboy and Little HW had been eagerly awaiting a peer of her own.
The two of them ran off to create all sorts of trouble. While the Mr. HW and Thatboy retired outside to drink beer and play guitar. I sat around with the college kids feeling instantly old. But in reality it was the perfect audience for a rum pie. Because there's nothing a recent college graduate likes better than alcohol. In fact, we had come just late enough to miss the shots of Hypnotiq.
They were uber appreciative of this pie with it's creamy consistency and strong rum flavor. Within moments of slicing it, it was completely gone.
Rum Cream Pie with Graham Cracker Crust (From A Homemade Life)
9 graham crackers broken coarsely into pieces
2 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup cold water
1 1/4 tsp gelatin
1 cup heavy cream
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp dark rum
- Preheat oven to 325. Process the graham crackers in a food processor until they are very fine.
- Add the 2 Tbsp sugar and pulse to combine.
- With the motor running, slowly add the melted butter and process until the mixture resembles wet sand. Scrape the mixture into a 9 or 9 1/2 inch pie plate and press along the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Pour the cold water into a small microwaveable bowl.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Set aside to soften for a few minutes.
- Pour the cream into the bowl of an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks until they are pale yellow.
- Add the 1/2 cup of sugar to the eggs and whisk until thick.
- Microwave the gelatin for 20 seconds and then pour into the egg mixture.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks with the whisk attachment to the mixer.
- Gently stir the whip cream into the egg mixture.
- Add the rum. Chill until it starts to set. Scrape into the prepared crust. Chill 4-6 hours.
- Top with chopped pistachios and bittersweet chocolate.